5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2011 7:46 AM by Colin Brougham

P2 card field offload

Tom Heffernan

I have offloaded P2 media in the field and had no problem editing it later. However, the footage always came from just a single card. I am about to do a huge project that I know will have a clip that will span between the two cards. I found this info from Adobe:

"If the group of spanned clips itself spans two P2 or XDCAM EX cards, copy the full directory trees from them both to same-level folders on the hard disk before importing."

I'm having trouble understanding exactly how to do this workflow. Is this saying that I should copy the full directory tree (CONTENTS folder and lastclip.txt) to a SEPARATE folder for each card?

I did an experiment where I made a clip that I know started on card 1 and finished on card 2. I dragged each card into separate folders on the hard drive and when I brought them into Premiere (5.03 Windows) the spanned clip showed up in the card 2 folder intact. So, that made me happy.

I guess I'm just looking for validation that this is the proper workflow. I will not have Premiere with me on location. Just an ordinary laptop that I will be creating "virtual" P2 cards with on the hard drive using P2 Viewer.

• 1. Re: P2 card field offload
          joe bloe premiere Level 5
          Is this saying that I should copy the full directory tree (CONTENTS folder and lastclip.txt) to a SEPARATE folder for each card?

Yes.

I'm not sure how a clip could span two cards...
          you have to stop rolling to swap to another card.

• 2. Re: P2 card field offload
            Tom Heffernan Level 1

I should have mentioned that I am using the HVX200A. It has two P2 card slots.

Tom Prigge (tom@asipp.org)

American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians

81 Lakeview Dr., Paducah, KY 42001

270-554-9412 ext. 205

FAX: 270-554-5395

www.asipp.org

• 3. Re: P2 card field offload
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Many cameras can hold more than one card, so the switch between them happens automatically while rolling.

• 4. Re: P2 card field offload
                joe bloe premiere Level 5

Have you dealt with a clip that spans two cards?

• 5. Re: P2 card field offload
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Tom,

You can maintain separate folders, like:

CLIENT

CARD_01

CONTENTS, etc.

CARD_02

CONTENTS, etc.

CARD_NN

CONTENTS, etc.

...and Premiere Pro will span from folder to folder. As long as you maintain the folder structure as shot by the card, PPro can use the metadata included in the structure to seamlessly stitch everything together.

An alternative, if you're daring, is to merge all the CONTENTS folders together. In that case, I create something like a FOOTAGE folder in my client folder, and then copy one CONTENTS folder structure after another into it. At least on Windows, you'll be asked if you want to merge the folders, which you would, in this case. Everything from the VIDEO folders will be put together, the AUDIO folders, and so on. Once again, PPro will know the folders all belong to the same long recording. I've merged 6 or 7 cards worth this way, both as start-and-stop records and as continuous recordings. Premiere Pro doesn't much care, either way.

The most important thing is just to preserve the CONTENTS folder and its underlying folders; the LASTCLIP.TXT file really isn't important, as that exists for the camera more so than the editor. You can maintain it if you like, and just let the OS automatically append a serial number, e.g. (1), to the file name.