13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2011 12:34 PM by Peter Spier

Saving to a previous version of InDesign 5.5

ckodesign

Trying to save down to 5.0 or lower.

• 1. Re: Saving to a previous version of InDesign 5.5
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can someone make these instructions a sticky?

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6d4da.h tml

Funny enough the exact title of this post brought me to that Indesign page when doing a search in Google.

*Note to the OP. This is nothing against you - it just gets asked so much.

To open an InDesign CS5 or CS5.5 document in InDesign CS4, do two things.

First, in InDesign CS5 or CS5.5, export the document to the InDesign Markup Language (IDML). (The IDML format replaces the Interchange INX format used for saving backwards in previous versions.)

Second, make sure that the computer running InDesign CS4 is updated with the appropriate plug-ins so that it can open the exported IDML file. The person running InDesign CS4 can obtain the compatibility plug-ins by choosing Help > Updates and following the prompts. Plug-ins can also be installed from the Adobe website: Visit Product updates page on the Adobe website, and choose to the InDesign from the product list.

Opening a document in a previous version of InDesign is also referred to as “saving down.”

Note: Content created using features specific to InDesign CS5 and/or CS5.5 may be modified or omitted when you open the document in InDesign CS4.

1. Choose File > Export.
          2. From the File Type (Windows) or Format (Mac OS) menu, choose InDesign Markup (IDML).
          3. Click Save.

You can open the .idml file in InDesign CS4 to convert it to an untitled InDesign document.

Note: To open the InDesign CS5 document in InDesign CS3, open the exported IDML file in InDesign CS4, save it and export it to InDesign CS3 Interchange (INX), and then open the exported INX file in InDesign CS3. Make sure that all InDesign versions are up to date.

What's with the Backsaving - an excellent article by Harbs of Intools
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Saving to a previous version of InDesign 5.5
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Export to IDML. That will open in CS5 or CS4.

Bob

• 3. Re: Saving to a previous version of InDesign 5.5
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Eugene Tyson wrote:

Can someone make these instructions a sticky?

Unfortunately, no. There are no "sticky" topic controls. The best that can be done is the kind of box thing I did for trobleshooting 101, and you know how much good that did.

If we fill the whole first page with FAQ links, there will be screaming like you wouldn't believe. That said, how would you like to write this one up we can add it to the box, maybe.

• 4. Re: Saving to a previous version of InDesign 5.5
                John Hawkinson Level 5

I think, Peter, this comes up enough that it is worth adding to the 101 box.

Also, part of the reason these things are ignored is there is too much old stuff there. File attachments are gone for good (I say that, but watch it change). Do we still need the announcement about Swedish Keyboards? Neither 7.5.1 nor 7.0.4 are "new" anymore, and unless the goal is to remind people "update to the latest before you ask a question," then those can probably go away, or at least combined.

But maybe I haven't spent enough time "getting social with InDesign"?

• 5. Re: Saving to a previous version of InDesign 5.5

There's a panel down the right. Perhaps shorten the RSS Feeds and insert a FAQ, inclusion of Reset/Delete Prefs and InDesign doc fix with export to IDML or INX etc. And the good old "How do I save down from CS5.5 to CS5 or earlier"

Just an idea

• 6. Re: Saving to a previous version of InDesign 5.5
                    peter minneapolis Level 4

Eugene Tyson wrote:

There's a panel down the right. Perhaps shorten the RSS Feeds and insert a FAQ, inclusion of Reset/Delete Prefs and InDesign doc fix with export to IDML or INX etc. And the good old "How do I save down from CS5.5 to CS5 or earlier"

Just an idea

For the emailed postings and replies, adding a couple of lines to the automatically-added message trailer might help. Perhaps links titled, "Do your own InDesign troubleshooting," "InDesign Frequently Asked Questions," "Replace InDesign Preferences fixes many unwanted behaviors," "How to open newer files in older InDesign,"  "Have you tried searching Google with 'InDesign' in your query?"

Is there a way to do the same for the Web interface?

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 7. Re: Saving to a previous version of InDesign 5.5

There is an "Actions" section. Where they have to go to post a new thread anyway.

Perhaps a few topics under that, listed as FAQ?

• 8. Re: Saving to a previous version of InDesign 5.5

Eugene Tyson wrote:

Just an idea

Harbs might be able to do something with the RSS feeds, but I don't think it would make much difference. A link to a FAQ page in the Actions would be great, but isn't something we mods can do. Looks to me like the best we can do at the present is add a box, similar to troubleshooting, or add a link in that box, that leads to a FAQ thread that is nothing more than a post with links to answers to commonly asked questions.

Keep after me and I'll see if I can find some free time to do that.

• 9. Re: Saving to a previous version of InDesign 5.5

Is there anybody else you can get in touch with to do things like that?

• 10. Re: Saving to a previous version of InDesign 5.5

I don't think the forum software can handle that level of customization, but if it can it would require approval from the forum admin, and maybe even higher up.

• 11. Re: Saving to a previous version of InDesign 5.5

There comes a time when things need to be improved slightly to enhance everyone's experience of using the forum. From beginners looking to fix files, or fix indesign or to backsaving. These things should be prominent on the forums so everyone has access to them when looking for an answer.

I suppose if we took the time to note how often these things are asked we could put a case together to see what could be done about putting a FAQ section into the forum?

• 12. Re: Saving to a previous version of InDesign 5.5

As I said, I can put up a post with links to other posts that answer many of these questions, and link to to that master post (that's how the genearl forum FAQ is set up, I think). What I could use help with is a list of the questions, and some good links to answers.

• 13. Re: Saving to a previous version of InDesign 5.5

Ok - that's something that interests me in helping out with