6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2011 5:31 PM by dandaffron

PM 5.0

dandaffron

Have a registered copy on PM 50. If I have to get PM 7.0 would I be eligible for an Upgrade.?

• 1. Re: PM 5.0
          Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

As I said in your other thread, PageMaker has been officially dead for several years now. It was replaced by InDesign, which should have been called PageMaker 8. I think none of the regulars would advise to pay for getting a newer version of PM.

I have just looked, and only legal owners of PM 6.x upwards are eligible for the special upgrade price to InDesign. If I were you, I would check if the upgrade route PM 5.0 -> PM 7 -> InDesign is economically sound, which I don't know.

• 2. Re: PM 5.0
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The upgrade to PM 7 is only $88: http://amzn.to/rdiCc9

You can then use that to upgrade to InDesign CS5.5 for $192: http://amzn.to/mUXVT7

Bob

• 3. Re: PM 5.0
              dandaffron Level 1

Bob

Thanks for the reply. The situation I am in is that I had pagemaker 5.0a(registered) installed on my computer running on XP. An electrical spike got my motherboard but not my hard drive. I am having another computer made with XP on it but am having trouble getting the diskettes to install for some reason. I have a lot of PM5 files with some stuff I really need. I thought if I could get PM7 at an upgrade price, which says it works on XP, then maybe I could on PM7 and see if I could find a converter to use on my PM5 files. Any help and direction would be greatly appreciated. Please reply. Thank you

• 4. Re: PM 5.0
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

PM 7 will open PM 5 files.

Bob

• 5. Re: PM 5.0
                  dandaffron Level 1

Thank you

• 6. Re: PM 5.0
                    dandaffron Level 1

Thank you. I got 6.5 installed and am looking into the pm7 to indesign. I appreciate your kind response and the info. Nice to know you all are out there. I am sure I will have other questions during this transition. My wife is the whiz in pagemaker. She had a print shop and that is what she used. She can literally do anything with that program. She ran a full scale print shop, presses the whole nine yards. Now if she would only share 1/10 of what she knows with me but she prefers to just do it herself. Even though we are just at home now, she still does a lot of set-up camera ready jobs for people in out town and county. If you ever need any help on how to use the program or set up anything in the program she is the best bet going. My job was to get it reinstalled on the new computer. I just hope that I will be able to access the PM 5 files with 6.5. If I cant, I will be going to the pm 7 upgrade as I have been told that PM7 will open the PM 5 files.

Thanks

Dan daffron