7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2011 10:04 AM by the_wine_snob

Importing Panorama image into PrE 9

nofx_prod

Hi everyone,

I appreciate all the info you put together here in this forum.

However I have one question I couldn't find the answer to in this thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798?tstart=0:

Can you tell me the maximum dimensions PrE is cabable of importing?

I cannot use my panoramic pictures, they fail to import to PrE 9.
      I want to pan horizontally accross the image, e.g. across a picture that is 10000x3700.

Also, in the thread meantioned above, Hunt mentioned earlier that he uses After Effects for editing panoramic pictures, but I don't have that program.
      Any suggestions what my workflow should be?

I posted this question in the link above but it does not seem to be read frequently.

Thanks!

Nils

• 1. Re: Importing Panorama image into PrE 9
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's possible -- although it's going to be a real workout for the program. Have you tried it yet?

Is it really necessary to use an image that size? That's over 100 times video resolution! It's like you're looking at a map of the USA but want to zoom in on Des Moines!

• 2. Re: Importing Panorama image into PrE 9
            nofx_prod Level 1

Hi,

I cannot import the image to start with.

I get an error (something in the line of "codec or file format not supported", not sure since I am at work) if I do it directly in PrE 9.

If I try to do it via the Organzier, the error message is different, it is something like "aspect ratio of the image is not supported/too large".

Hence my question what the maximum size of an image for import.

Maybe I should have asked for the maximum aspect ratio instead.

Reading the thread mentioned above I now know that I should crop the image beforehand

But that would leave me for panoramic pictures with something like 10.000 x 1080 if I'm doing HD Videos and e.g. I would pan from left to right.

So my question remains, what should be my workflow regarding importing/using panoramic pictures in PrE 9.

Cheers

Nils

• 3. Re: Importing Panorama image into PrE 9

From your experience, I would say that the photo is too large. Wouldn't you?

Though, again, I still can't imagine where you'd need a photo 100x the resolution of a video frame.

What is the image and what part of it are you trying to zoom in on?

• 4. Re: Importing Panorama image into PrE 9
                nofx_prod Level 1

Steve,

thank you for your quick reply.

It is a horizontal panoramic picture stitched together of 4-5 pictures (can't remember) of a coastal landscape shot.

I don't want to zoom but pan from left to right.

So if my picture is 10000 pixels wide and 1080 pixels high (HD video) it should enable me to make a nice long horizontal pan from "coast to coast".

That is why I want such a large picture in my video.

My problem is that I cannot import the picture with these dimensions into the Organizer or PrE 9, I get errors both ways.

So is there a workaround how I could import such a large picture?

Maybe I could split the picture or something?

• 5. Re: Importing Panorama image into PrE 9

Yes, you could do it as a series of pans, if you can figure out how to connect them together. In fact, that's probably the only way to do it -- if you truly believe you need to zoom in to 1% of the image.

But clearly a 10000 pixel wide image is not going to load.

• 6. Re: Importing Panorama image into PrE 9
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't have a link handy (never use pictures that large) but I **think** I read somewhere that the max pixel size is 4096 x 4096

But, like I said, no link so memory could be wrong

• 7. Re: Importing Panorama image into PrE 9
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

John T.,

That size limitation was the max. pixel x pixel for PrPro and for PrE. In PrPro CS 5 (and CS 5.5) it was increased with the MPE/CUDA addition to PrPro, but I have not seen anything to suggest that the max. size has increased in PrE 9. I can only speculate that it is the same, especially as PrE does not use MPE, or CUDA.

For really large still images, AfterEffects is the better program, and handles large stills in a different, more efficient way..

Hunt