10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2011 4:00 AM by Peter Spier

Placing a multi-page PDF

SMBmktg27 Level 1

I have a 20-page PDF placed in InDesign. I relinked the file to a 25 page PDF that I want to start on page 5. Can I edit which page of the PDF is viewing in InDesign, similarly to how I can edit which layers of an .ai file I want to show? I feel like this should be a simple solution but I haven't figured it out yet.

• 1. Re: Placing a multi-page PDF
          Grant H Level 4
          similarly to how I can edit which layers of an .ai file I want to show?

right click on placed AI and select object layer options.

G

• 2. Re: Placing a multi-page PDF
            Stix Hart Level 5

If you're wanting to do the whole thing at once use Scott Zanelli's cool plug in, here.  That is so quick to use you might as well use it anyway.

The other option is to relink and tick show import options.

Or there is a third option, a script called "PDF Options Editor" it's somewhere on Adobe's website but I don't have the time to find it now.

• 3. Re: Placing a multi-page PDF
              Grant H Level 4
              I relinked the file to a 25 page PDF that I want to start on page 5.

top and bottom arrow while loaded curser to select page to start or... select the pages in the import options

G

• 4. Re: Placing a multi-page PDF
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I think you guys missed the point here, or maybe I am. This is a relink of multiple pages. As far as I can tell, you cannot relink multiple pages at one time and specify a differnt page for each without actually going through the dialog and entering the correct number for each successive page in the options dialog as it pops up. ID won't accept a range and use it for replacing a previously placed range. This is only marginally faster than selecting the links one at a time.

I love Scott Zanelli's script, but I think it would be completely useless for a relink operation -- it has no way to remove the current instance and replace it.

• 5. Re: Placing a multi-page PDF
                  Stix Hart Level 5

I don't think I misunderstood the question, I probably didn't make myself clear enough.  What I meant by "do the whole thing at once" is "delete the old one and redo the whole thing at once"!  So thnaks for that clarification.

However you can replace a whole PDF at once, it just depends on where you click..  In CS5 you just have to select the "top" one and you're away.  David Blatner mentioned it the other day on InDesign Secrets here, it's in the last few paragraphs of that article.  I was surprised he hadn't noticed it before but I guess he doesn't do this particular task all the time like I do.

• 6. Re: Placing a multi-page PDF

Well, before I posted I tried relinking a PDF that I had imported originally specifying the range of 1-5 with another version of the same PDF, but specifying the range 5-9, and I selected the "master" link. I got asked 5 times (because I was showing import options in order to change the range) to specify the pages, and each time I said 5-9. I got 5 copies of page 5...

I suspect it works differently if you are not showing options.

• 7. Re: Placing a multi-page PDF
                      sci-grl

I have also been trying to import a multi-page PDF. So far I have used 3 different scripts, 2 from Scott Zanelli’s page (one of which I found above). These have been the closest but I still can't get them to work. I am using CS5 on Vista. Once I select a pfd that I want to import it comes up with:

JavaScript Error!

Error Number: 55

Error String: Object does not support the property or method 'activeLayer'

Engine: main

File: C:\Users\scigrl\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Indesign\Version 7.0\en\GB\Scripts\Scripts Panel\Version 3.0

Scripts\MultiPageImporter2.5-CS5\MultiPageImporter2.5-CS5.jsx

Line: 206

Source" var currentLayer = theDoc.activeLayer;

Interpreter: CS (3.0)

I have no experience using scripts and am quite new to using InDesign. If you have any idea about what is going on your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

sci-grl

• 8. Re: Placing a multi-page PDF
                        Stix Hart Level 5

Right click the script and choose "Reveal in Explorer".  Create a new folder called "Version 6.0 Scripts" without the quotes and place the script in that, then try running it.

• 9. Re: Placing a multi-page PDF
                          sci-grl Level 1

Thank you so much for that! Something so simple has fixed all my problems.

Cheers!

• 10. Re: Placing a multi-page PDF

There actually is a CS5 version of the multipage importer script, and you ccan access it through InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Zanelli Releases MultiPageImporter for Importing both PDF and INDD Files