10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2011 10:13 AM by Kris S.

PE9 and .mts files

Kris S.

Background:  I am new to PE9 and have a Windows XP OS.  Video cam: Canon Vixia HFS20

I was editing video for several days when one afternoon, my album thumbnails went blank and I am now unable to view, edit, or import them in PE9.  I get a generic failure:  "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed"

Can anyone help with this?  Do I need to get a new codec?  If so, why was it working for several days without issue?  Also the video open and run in ImageMixer, but that editing software stinks so would like to stay with PE9.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled PE9 (not trial, full version), but no luck with that.

• 1. Re: PE9 and .mts files
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, ensure you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple.com, per the program's requirements.

Then ensure that your project is set up for AVCHD footage. What options did you select when you started your Premiere Elements project?

Finally, how much free, defragmented space is on your C drive? Are you editing on your C drive or on a second or external drive?

• 2. Re: PE9 and .mts files
            Kris S. Level 1

I do have the latest version of Quicktime.

I did not chose an  option when I started the project (so whatever the default is).  Is  there a way I can go in and see what was picked or change it?

I have 54% free, defraged space on my C drive and I am editing on that.

• 3. Re: PE9 and .mts files

How many gigabytes of free space do you have on your hard drive?

As for your project, you'll need to start a new project with the proper specs in order for this video to work.

Which specs you use depends on which format you shot your video in. If you plan to edit your video in Premiere Elements, I suggest you only work with video shot in FXP or MXP mode. You could then set up your project for Full AVCHD 1920x1080 stereo and it should work perfectly.

As for your existing project, there's no way to change project specs mid-project. However, some people have found that, using a third-party program called ClipMate, they can cut the video from one project and paste it into a new, properly set up project.

That may seem like a lot ot trouble -- but it's well worth it, if you want to get good, quality results (or any results at all, in some cases).

You can find more details on settting up and using a project in my free 8-part Basic Training series at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

And, if you want to learn the program inside and out, my books show you all of the tools with easy, step by step instructions.

http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php

• 4. Re: PE9 and .mts files
                Kris S. Level 1

I have almost 41 GB of free space on my hard drive.

I do not know how the video was shot. The camera is not mine.  I just quickly downloaded the files onto my hard drive using the Pixela software.

Any thoughts on what I should set my "new" project up as since I am not sure how it was shot?

Thanks

• 5. Re: PE9 and .mts files

Well, you can try downloading G Spot and opening a video file in it. At least it will tell you its resolution and codec. From there we can at least decide if its something we can work with. (And here's hoping Pixela didn't change it into a format we can't work with.)

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

• 6. Re: PE9 and .mts files
                    Kris S. Level 1

I ran a couple of files in gspot and the clips ran in the test section.  Here is the little bit of info that showed up other than the actual footage showing.

video/mp2t

MPEG-2 Transport stream

In the proposed codec solutions and test area:

Render OK.  The following combination of filters was used:

[Srv]-->>--[A]-->[MainConcept MPEG Demultiplexer ]>--[B]-->[AC3Filter]>--[C]-->[Default DirectSound Device ]

But I do not believe that is info you were hoping to get out.  All the info in the Video and Audio boxes is not populating (or that should only populate if something was not working correctly).

• 7. Re: PE9 and .mts files

Yes. Unfortunately, that is not enough information to be of any help.

I'm sorry, Kris. I may not be able to help you here. It appears that either the original video or the format Pixela captured it as is not something we can work with.

I'm surprised G Spot didn't even show us the video's resolution!

I suppose you can do some experimenting and see if you can find a project setting that works.

Or maybe someone else will chime in with a suggestion.

• 8. Re: PE9 and .mts files
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Another program to check files is http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

PE9 will natively edit MTS files, so the fact that your files are not working also leads me to believe that the software used to get files from camera to computer did "something" that is causing the problem

• 9. Re: PE9 and .mts files
                          Kris S. Level 1

Using John's suggested program, I got that the video stream is: 1440*1080 (16:9), at 29.97fps, AVC (High@L4.0) (CABAC 2 Ref Frames).

Does that help with suggesting a setting for me?

• 10. Re: PE9 and .mts files
                            Kris S. Level 1

So I believe I might have found that this is a file connection issue.  I am getting the missing file ? in the corner and when I try to reconnect with my file on my harddrive---it goes to a file on my D drive that does not exist instead of the file I am connecting to on my C drive.

Does a fix to this ring a bell?