0 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2011 4:34 PM by JGat

Why is ADE replacing macronised glyphs in standard fonts?

JGat

Hi,

I have an ebook, (epub format) which is causing me some problems.

When I open the book in ADE, the macronised characters (e.g. ā) are being replaced with the standard 'unknown' glyph (?).

I looked into the source, the font being specified in the CSS is Times New Roman, Serif, and the epubs reader I have in my browser opens the file correctly, and renders all the characters as expected. This makes me think that my PC has a macronised character set for the requested font.

I looked into the html that forms the content, and the text is encapsulated ANSI as UTF-8, and renders correctly in notepad. The XML declares as utf-8, and the macronised characters can be found in the Latin-1 Supplement.

I looked at the hex code for the characters, and the basic character encoding seems to be calling the correct code for the letters, according to the UTF-8 standard.

Why then is ADE suppressing macronised characters? I have a few suggested reasons:

ADE wants special characters to be in a Pro family, and does not support any extensions of the basic Latin character set? (and so, supports UTF-7 as UTF-8 in standard (not Pro) charactersets).

ADE has an internal font set, which is does not have the macronised glyphs (and so uses this rather than the system font set?)

The epub is badly formatted and the browser is doing a better job of masking the problem?...

Any one got any experience in this? We will potentially have a lot of content with macronised characters as its standard in Maori. We would not like to have to advise people not to use ADE if it cannot support our characterset properly...

Cheers,

Jay