5 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2014 6:24 AM by Steve Grisetti

Blurry video once burnt to DVD

smcdonald87

I have recently uploaded some footage from a JVC Hard Disk Camcorder to PE9. I have then added this footage (about 2-3 hours worth) onto the timeline without any transitions or effects. I have played the footage back in PE9 and there are no quality issues apparent. However, when I burn this footage to a Disc (DVD) and play it back from the disc the quality is not the same, it's very blurry/shaky.

If anyone can help me fix this problem it would be really appreciated!

Cheers!

• 1. Re: Blurry video once burnt to DVD
          smcdonald87 Level 1

It probably doesn't make much difference but I use a Mac too

• 2. Re: Blurry video once burnt to DVD
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Which model of JVC is your camcorder? Are you shooting standard def or hi-def video?

When you set up your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select?

And how did you get your video from the camcorder to your computer?

• 3. Re: Blurry video once burnt to DVD
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>about 2-3 hours worth

Single or dual layer DVD?

Hollywood studios use encoding software that costs many thousands of dollars to encode a 2 hour movie to go on a dual layer DVD

If you are trying to put that much video on a single layer DVD the resulting bitrate is going to be LOW to get everything to fit, and a low bitrate means reduced quality

• 4. Re: Blurry video once burnt to DVD
                Movie Mom

The AVCHD Video (.MTS) movie clips saved to my computor and viewed on my computor are excellent, clear quality. However, when Adobe Premiere Elements 11 editing program is used, the picture quality of the burned DVD becomes signiticantly poor (blurry) when played back on both the computor and TV. I always choose 'best picture quality' prior to burning the DVDs. The movie length is 50 minutes or less. My JVC digital camera (GZ-HM430BU) is full HD 1920 X 1080. I transfer my vdeos from camera to computor using a USB cord. I wonder if the menu templates from Adobe Premiere Elements 11 do not support HD? The menu picture and words on the the completed DVD looks blurry as well.

• 5. Re: Blurry video once burnt to DVD
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You do realize that AVCHD footage is high-def and has 4-6 times the resolution of standard DVD video, right? So a DVD can't possibly look even remotely as detailed as you original AVCHD.

Also, you don't say how you're judging the quality of your video -- but it should look just fine on a TV. If you're playing it on a computer at full-screen, however, you're blowing it out to waaaaaaay beyond its resolution, since your computer monitor is likely at least 1280x1024 while your DVD video is only 720x480.

In addition, your DVD video is interlaced, while your computer video is not. So, depending on which software you're using to play your video, you may also be seeing interlacing artifacts on your computer that will not be such an issue on a TV.

In short, there are a lot of factors to consider. And your video editing software is the least likely to be the factor affecting the quality of your final DVD.