10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2011 4:19 PM by Peter Spier

Frame Equations

Brian2025 Level 1

How does one frame equations in an ID layout? The equations will be placed from a .EPS

I need to have the equation number to the right, justifited to the page

In some instances I will have multiple equations in rows, but only want to assign a single equation to them. I would like the equation number to be centered vertically amongst the group.

Being new to ID, I am not sure how this is done. In Word, to give you an idea, I set up a table with 3 columns. The equation goes in the middle and the number in the right cell. Then if I can merge cells as needed if there are groups. Make sense?

• 1. Re: Frame Equations
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Sure, and you can do the same using tables in InDesign.

• 2. Re: Frame Equations
            Brian2025 Level 1

Thanks. Just to be sure, is this the standard method or are there alternate options?

• 3. Re: Frame Equations

You can place images inline and use shift+tab to force the numbers to the right, but then you'd need to do the vertical placement manually. For anything more complicated than a single equation plus an associated number, I'd recommend a table.

• 4. Re: Frame Equations
                Brian2025 Level 1

Agreed, that makes sense.

This is a bit tricky, but any idea how I could line up rows of equations on the equal sign? The amount of content on the left and right hand side of the equation varies though.

I can see how it would be done manually, but if it comes to that I will just center everything and live with it. But if there is a robust setup to have everything align on the sign, that could work.

• 5. Re: Frame Equations

These are still images, right?

Then copy each image to its right. Crop the right hand side of the left one, and the left hand side of the right one, up to the equals sign. Create your table to have two columns for the images, not one, and set the left column to right-justified text. Adjust column widths to fit.

Make sure you don't alter the vertical sizes of any of the halves of your images, you still need this to make them align vertically.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Frame Equations
                    Brian2025 Level 1

Yes, they are .EPS files so they are "dumb". I suppose there is no great way to do it because of this.

Interesting idea. It sounds pretty reasonable, but probably more effor than I want to spend on it. But I have it in my back pocket in case I change my mind.

One more question. I want to see the table and cell outlines, but don't actually want them to be there for printing. It seems that if I select a 0pt thickness, the lines still show up, but it won't print. Is this OK or could this get me into trouble when I send it to the printer?

• 7. Re: Frame Equations
                      Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Check out the difference between View -> Screen Mode -> Normal and View -> Screen Mode - > Preview. If you can still see the gridlines when in Preview*, then they'll print (unless they're on a non-printing layer or something). Likewise, when you are in Normal screen mode, you can show or hide those blue lines with View -> Hide/Show Frame Edges.

There are almost always between three and ten different ways to do a thing in ID where there's only one way to do it in Word.

* Try playing around with the text tool and the selection tool when in Preview mode - you'll find that sometimes you can see the gridlines, briefly, depending on which tool is active and what is selected. However, if you have nothing at all selected, if you see gridlines, they'll print. That's what the Preview mode is for.

• 8. Re: Frame Equations

Okay, that's not what preview mode is for, I guess, but it is certainly one of the ways to use Preview mode.

• 9. Re: Frame Equations
                          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Joel Cherney wrote:

Check out the difference between View -> Screen Mode -> Normal and View -> Screen Mode - > Preview. If you can still see the gridlines when in Preview*, then they'll print (unless they're on a non-printing layer or something).

If you can see them in preview mode, they'll print. Period.  Items on "non-printing layers or something" will not show up in preview mode unless you are actually editing them.

• 10. Re: Frame Equations

<cough> What Peter said, yeah, that's what I meant to say. Never mind what I actually said. <cough>