7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2011 6:53 AM by Peter Spier

problems with going from Pagemaker to InDesign

SimonSchneider

Hello,

I'm going to try to make my problem as understandable as possible.

I work at a compay that has been making their catalog with Pagemaker, its a very small company so no real expertiese in PM or ID.

I know many are going to crinch when they hear this, but we are using links from excel to PM.

These links are used to change the language of the catalog. The basic idea is that the catalog is pretty much the same in all languages and its only small ammounts of text that changes depending on the language (most of it is numbers).

So we have a excel sheet with x columns where every column represents one language, every row represents a different textline. We also have a master column wich is the one that is linked to PM. This gives us the opportunity to change the language of the catalog by just pasting different language columns into the master column and update PM.

Most of you can probably see where this is going.

In design doesnt support links to excel it seems. So i was wondering if anyone has an idea that could help us transfer our catalog to ID in a smooth way and maby at the same time give us ideas how to improve our way of changing language, without too much hassle.

Any help is very appriciated

Thank you in advance

Simon

• 1. Re: problems with going from Pagemaker to InDesign
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

InDesign does support linking to Excel and it works far better than the wonky OLE that PM used.

Check your preferences and enable Create Links When Placing Text and Spreadsheet Files which you'll find in the File Handling section.

Bob

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: problems with going from Pagemaker to InDesign
            SimonSchneider Level 1

Thank you that was very good to hear.

I dont seem to get it to work though, most likly becouse of my lack of knowledge about ID and not your advice.

I checked the box you mentioned.

I then drag and drop (also tried ctr+c and ctr+v) a cell from excel to InDesign.

The textbox in ID doesnt update when i change the cell in excel though, it also doesnt show up in the "links-panel" like pictures that are links.

kind regards
            Simon

• 3. Re: problems with going from Pagemaker to InDesign
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Linking means File > Place.. not copy/paste or drag/drop from Excel.

That said, you haven't told us which version of ID you use, but if it supports Conditional Text, you might want to look at that as an option. Conditional text would allow you to have all the text inthe file at the same time, but hide those languages that you don't need at any particular moment.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: problems with going from Pagemaker to InDesign
                SimonSchneider Level 1

Oh i see, that explains why it did not work. thank you!

I use ID CS5.5 Version 7.5 (I think its the newest one), if this version supports conditional text it seems its an option that would be interesting to look into. I imagine it works as layers? I choose to show only the english/german/russian/.... layer of text so to say?

Does it work in the way that i make one textbox and write 3 different text's (languages) in that box and it only shows one or do i work with 3 different textboxes on top of eachother? i guess it would also be possible to link all the english/russian/german text together so i change them all at once in the entire catalog?

Thank you so much for the advice and patience, it's very helpful.

/Simon

• 5. Re: problems with going from Pagemaker to InDesign
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You can place a named range or you can specify the range.

There's a bug with XLSX files that prevents the named ranges from working but saving back to XLS is the workaround.

Bob

• 6. Re: problems with going from Pagemaker to InDesign
                    SimonSchneider Level 1

Thank you very much for the help, both of you, just have one more question.

The old PM links in the catalog to excel are not imported into ID, picture links are but not excel ones. This even after i close all open projects and change the setting about links from spreadsheets in ID, when i then open the catalog the links to excel dont show up as links, just as textboxes.

This would be a huge help if there is some way to get these links to work in ID without having to "redo" 300 pages. This would be good during the time we update to using conditional text, becouse that seems like a solution we should have used from the beginning.

Thank you in advance

Simon

• 7. Re: problems with going from Pagemaker to InDesign
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are the "links" really linked, or are they embedded. PM liked to embed things by default (and it's really important to change images from embedded to linked in the link manager in PM before converting in ID). Since PM used the really strange OLE routines for spreadsheets, I'm not sure that they will translate at all as real links for ID. You may be stuck.

Converting PM docs is really hit or miss, depending on the structure of the PM file. Some will be near perfect, others useless, but you should always count on doing some work in ID.