5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2011 12:48 PM by John T Smith

Pemiere Pro 5.5 Crashes in the Middle of Launching

FelixUnderwood Level 2

Last night, Premiere Pro started literally disappearing without a trace (even w/o an error dialogue box). At first, I opended the task manager to kill the usual individual Adobe components I often have to manually force quit during an Adobe crash, but none were there. So I did the next obvious thing and rebooted the computer. Didn't fix the problem. This was 11:30 last night and I still had a couple of hours of editing to go. Wanted to avoid a clean install at all costs! So I created a new User Account on Win 7, booted to that and low and behold, it launched!! Of course my presets and other customizations were gone, but you know what they say, "Any port in the storm!" So, I was thrilled that I didn't have to stay up all night, but I'd love to be able to avoid having to use a workaround. Sounds like some sort of Pref file to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Pemiere Pro 5.5 Crashes in the Middle of Launching
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Give this a try... Reset Preferences = Press/HOLD Ctrl+Alt+Shift while starting program

• 2. Re: Pemiere Pro 5.5 Crashes in the Middle of Launching
            FelixUnderwood Level 2

John, THAT WAS IT!! Where were you last night at 12:30?! Any ideas on what could have caused the corruption? BTW, I've never had such a simple solution to a problem so serious in as long as I can remember! Thanks so much for piping up!

• 3. Re: Pemiere Pro 5.5 Crashes in the Middle of Launching

I have never had a preferences problem so, other than making note of what to do to set prefs back to default, I don't really KNOW what goes wrong

I have read that a power outage and unplanned shutdown may corrupt the prefs file... so I will GUESS that any "hiccup" related to hard drive read/write could do the same

Also... Hardware crashes or virus infections happen, so you should buy AND USE software to make a full backup of your hard drive to an external USB hard drive... plus, making step-by-step backups during a new install or major program addition makes it easy to go back a step if something doesn't work
              This backup and then restore is, of course, only to the same computer with a new drive (or the same drive as long as you don't mind writing over everything) since doing a restore to a new computer won't work due to Windows and many programs having activation information that is keyed to your hardware (which is why Windows will force you to RE-Activate if you change very much hardware)
              The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm
              Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything
              Please note that I own no part of Image, and I don't get a referral fee (that is just a plain web link) but I use the program and it has saved me a LOT of trouble when I had a hard drive die... and I was able to restore everything and not have to re-install or re-activate a single program, from Windows on up

• 4. Re: Pemiere Pro 5.5 Crashes in the Middle of Launching
                ExactImage Level 3

John, You're a star!   This helped me recover Media Encoder (using this method) that was broken in the same way - and now it's working again !   MAGIC!

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Pemiere Pro 5.5 Crashes in the Middle of Launching

I'm sure there are other programs, including some that don't require a DOS boot disk, but if you DO have a DOS boot disk, the best drive check & repair software I know of is at http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm 

File corruption problems COULD be a sign of a failing hard drive