12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2012 7:20 AM by Steve Grisetti

Imported Video Blank?

vicky515 Level 1

Hi there,

I have a GoToMeeting video that I wish to import into Adobe Premiere Elements.

The codec they provide to watch it is located here: http://gotomeeting.com/codec

It took some difficulty for me to get it just to import, but now that it's in here it's blank and won't play.  It locks up / slows down Premiere mighty bad also. Don't know why!

Premiere Screenshots:

premiere01.jpg

premiere02.jpg

Clicking play doesn't do anything. Literally. The icon doesn't even change to pause.  Well, my computer goes brutally slow but yeah, nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GSpot Screenshot:

gspot.jpg

• 1. Re: Imported Video Blank?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I would say it's not likely you're going to be able to edit this type of video, even if you import that codec.

Have you tried Windows MovieMaker?

If it doesn't work, I'm not sure what to suggest. Sorry.

• 2. Re: Imported Video Blank?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Over in http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/PProCamera.txt I made one note concerning ASF files http://forums.adobe.com/thread/831429?tstart=0 but that note is for CS5, not Premiere Elements

• 3. Re: Imported Video Blank?
              vicky515 Level 1

Yes, I tried Movie Maker.  It imports fine and I work on it no problem, but as soon as I tried to Export it nothing happened.  The estimated time remaining keeps going up and up with no progress on that bar   I left it for over an hour and the time remaining went up to 200+ hours before I clicked cancel...  Real drag too, because you don't know there's a problem until after all is said and done.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might be able to change the format of the video so that it will import into Premiere Elements?

• 4. Re: Imported Video Blank?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, the CODEC is likely the culprit. This ARTICLE will give you more background on CODEC's in general. First, a CODEC is designed for playability, and next for possible encoding. Last, the editing with that CODEC, might, or might not work, but that is usually a function of the editing program. Some work better with some CODEC's, than others. None work with ALL possible CODEC's.

Often, one can convert the original CODEC to one, that will work with a particular editing program.

I have not used that one, but have had great success with an older conversion  program, DigitalMedia Converter 2.7 from Deskshare. Others have used various freeware conversion programs, but I have not researched most, as DMC works so well for me, with the material that I get handed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Imported Video Blank?
                  Wright2012 Level 1

Hi Vicky,

Did you have any luck resolving this?

I am suffering from the same issues as videos from GoTo just do not seem to work in elements which is really fustrating.

Many thanks for any information you can provide.

• 6. Re: Imported Video Blank?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I would look into converting the Go2Meeting material into something that PrE can handle, such as DV-AVI.

A CODEC is a little bit of code, loaded onto the system, to decode/encode AV files. Most will allow for playback of the AV file, in a player that can handle the specific CODEC. Also, some programs can use that CODEC to encode material. Finally, some NLE (Non Linear Editor) programs can use the CODEC to edit the file, but this is a very narrow subset from the first use, and even the second use. Premiere is very specific in which CODEC's it can work with. For instance, it works very poorly, if at all, with DivX/Xvid, and also, so it seems, the G2M CODEC. The choices are:

Use an NLE that CAN work with the CODEC

Convert that AV file to a CODEC, that the NLE can work with

As I have never encountered that CODEC, I have no idea which NLE's can work with it natively, or even which conversion programs can handle it. Maybe others have experiences, that will be helpful to you.

Good luck, and take a look at the CODEC's a Primer article, linked to above for much more detail.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Imported Video Blank?
                      Wright2012 Level 1

Thanks for the help all - I seem to have solved the issue I was having.

The Microsoft Expression decoder was able to change my dysfunction WMV into a WMV which Premiere accepted.

There is more information on how to set this to decode GoToWebinar and GoToMeeting videos here.

• 8. Re: Imported Video Blank?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news!

Whenever one is dealing with an odd CODEC, conversion is usually the best course of action.

Not sure why so many companies insist on using CODEC's, that do not edit well, but it is very popular, and not just with software makers, but with some camera mfgrs. too.

Good luck, and thank you for posting your success.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Imported Video Blank?
                          nealeh Level 5

Do you know why they are linking to ME3 when ME4 has been out for around eighteen months? I'm just wondering if, like Movie Maker, the newer version has less features than the older.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: Imported Video Blank?
                            Wright2012 Level 1

GoTo don't seem to mention why ME3 so I'm unsure.

• 11. Re: Imported Video Blank?
                              mvelline Level 1

I have been working on the same problem, on and off for a week.

Finally figured it out.

I downloaded AVS Video Converter at http://www.avs4you.com/downloads.aspx.  I also downloaded Microsoft Expression Encoder 3  but that did not work for me.

In GoTo Meeting change the recording settings, under Video to "Convert to Windows Media Player File."   After you are finished recording your goto meeting make sure you wait 5 - 10 minutes (or however long necessary depending on your metting file) for the GoTo meeting software to save your video file.  It will appear in your folder files right away but that file will not work until goto meeting has converted it properly. 

Open AVS Video Converter and upload your GoTo Meeting video.  Under Advanced Setting change the file output to be Mpeg4 DivX/Xvid.  "Click on Convert Now" and it will covert the file so you can open it and work with it in Premier Elements 10.

• 12. Re: Imported Video Blank?
                                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You definitely should not be converting the video to MPEG/Dvix! That will definitely make it not work in Premiere Elements?

Have you followed the conversion instructions in our FAQs?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

You should be able to convert your WMV file to DV-AVI using Windows MovieMaker 2.6 Classic using the settings described in that link.