3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2011 8:05 PM by Rick Gerard

Ram audio playback issue.

YipYipYipYahOOOO

So I was busy trying to sync some cuts effects and clips with some music inside of after effects. when I was going to ram preview it to find the exact times in my clips where I want certain things to happen corisponding with certain beats in the music I'm using. when I ram preview and it happens that the audio plaback along with the visual playback is at a 1.5 speed (or so it seems can't be exact)

by this I mean it's not playing back in real time. like I can here the music go by faster then it should the same fallows for the visuals. it all seems to be going by faster. now this is a big issue for I need to be able to here the song and see the visuals at it's normal speed not slower faster just it's normal 1.0 speed.

what could the problem possibley be?

I'm running Cs5.5 on mac OSX 10.6 (soon to be 10.7) and I have 8 gigs of ram installed so I can't see as to how it could be my machine lagging it? even though that wouldn't make sense for I'm not lagging I'm fast forwarding... how do I fix this?

• 1. Re: Ram audio playback issue.
          navparker@mac.com Level 1

In the info panel, what does it say when playing back? Is the text white (real time) or red (not real time).

You could have color management turned on. Click on this little icon  Screen shot 2011-07-27 at 3.37.16 PM.pngin your composition window and turn off Display Color Mgmt. It should RAM Preview at the correct speed.

• 2. Re: Ram audio playback issue.
            YipYipYipYahOOOO Level 1

When I go to ram preview I right click my timeline and click repview ram preview then no sound comes and it play the footage at 1.5-2.0 speed not sure exactly which speed it's being played back at.

then once it's gone through what I want previewd I press space bar and it starts to play back audio at 1.5 speed along with footage that sometimes seems like it's being played at normal speed and other times not. and the info panel will switch randomely during ram previews to red and white text saying realtime or not real time.

I don't know how to turn off color mangagment for when I go to it it gives me a drop down menu of red, green blue, etc... and one other option at the bottom when once clicked brings me to a menu with nothing about turning it off.

also I have a ram preview area set up on the right of my AE (the deafult zone for it) and when I click ram preview there nothing happens the footage plays but no audio and then when I click play again it stops??

no matter what I do I can't get the audio to play at it's normal speed unless. I right click my timeline and choose preview audio and one of the 2 options beileve they are called "here forward" and "work space"

I have no idea why it won't preview right but it won't what do I need to do to fix this?

(P.S as far as I can tell it's always been like this never used AE much (more of a photoshop/illustrator guy) but now that I do it doesn't work at all right)

• 3. Re: Ram audio playback issue.
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

YipYipYipYahOOOO wrote:

When I go to ram preview I right click my timeline and click repview ram preview then no sound comes and it play the footage at 1.5-2.0 speed not sure exactly which speed it's being played back at.

then once it's gone through what I want previewd I press space bar and it starts to play back audio at 1.5 speed along with footage that sometimes seems like it's being played at normal speed and other times not. and the info panel will switch randomely during ram previews to red and white text saying realtime or not real time.

Ok, first of all you don't use the space bar to play the timeline in After Effects. You use the 0 on the numeric keypad or you click on the far right Ram Preview idon in the Preview Panel. If you don't see the pannel press Ctrl/Cmnd + 3. Using the contextual menu is also an option.

The length of the preview and the speed of the playback are dependant on your system specs. It looks like you should be OK for SD through HD previews. What are your composition settings? What is the frame rate? What are your render settings in your preferences? Do you have render multiple frames simultaneously turned on?