1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 27, 2011 3:14 PM by MurraySummers

Template Editing Help

julionovo1

Hi,

I've never used Dreamweaver before or done anything with web site design so please answer with that in mind.

I want to create a website from Template #3 that I downloaded from Chris Converse's pack of 5 free templates http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/dreamweaver_custom_templates.html

What I need to do is change the text of the "Our Company" banner logo. I need to create a few other pages with the same look as the template (but probably without the accordion). I need to change the images as well and all of the text in the template. I need to be able to update this text when I want once I load the site on a server. Can I get some help on how to do this or at least be directed to a good guide? I've looked at other guides but they are still too advanced for me.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Template Editing Help
          MurraySummers Level 8

With limited knowledge of HTML and I presume no knowledge of CSS, you will struggle with even this simple task - I don't want to discourage you, but I don't want to mislead you either. 

To do what you want, you will have to be able to edit the graphics supplied with the template (or create new ones).  You will also need to define a site in DW, add these files to the site, and begin the process of adapting the template to your layout by replacing the graphics and editing the text.  Your edits at this point would be made purely to the "BOILERPLATE" text on the template, i.e., the text that will appear on every page of the site.  Once you have the graphic look of the page the way you want it, and the boilerplate text edited, you can begin to spawn child pages from the template and add unique content to each.

Good luck.  This will be a hard road if you don't also take a break to learn something about HTML and CSS.