7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2011 5:49 AM by Peter Spier

Pantone to CMYK?

kcrossley Level 1

I have a lot of clients who are asking me to use Internet printers for work they have traditionally done at a local print shops. The problem is a lot of these jobs were printed in PMS colors, and most Internet printers are setup to run CMYK all day. I have a Pantone Coor Bridge, but when I look at a lot of the CMYK equivalents there are huge differences in color, especially with the warmer tones.

How do you guys deal with this?

• 1. Re: Pantone to CMYK?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Many spot colors have no "good" cmyk equivalent. If you need those colors, you continue to use a printer who will run spot colors.

Waht this boils down to is you clients need to make a decision based on some samples of what they can expect if they switch.

• 2. Re: Pantone to CMYK?
            kcrossley Level 1

Quite frankly, I think I care about color more than my clients. For safety's sake I've shown my client the Pantone CMYK Bridge and explained the process to them and she seems fine with everything. However, most clients can visualize something until they receive the printed job. My concern is my liability since I'm handling the print job. I guess I could get her to sign off on it.

• 3. Re: Pantone to CMYK?

I wouldn't guarantee that the color in Pantone book will matche the output, either. Who is picking the printer? What that particular one? Is is about cost?

• 4. Re: Pantone to CMYK?
                kcrossley Level 1

It's all about cost these days.

• 5. Re: Pantone to CMYK?

What can I say? You get what you pay for, if you're lucky.

I personally think I get better value from my local guy. The price may be marginally higher on some jobs (and I do use specialty printers for some things that are less critical), but when color matters, I know I can rely 100% on the output. Part of the price covers epson contract proofs (after I've seen digitals), and if the color isn't right on those it gets fixed and we proof again. He knows me and I know him, and we both know a long term relationship has value.

Who do you call at the internet printer if the job doesn't look right? Will they print again for free? How much money is being saved to give up waht you are losing? Printing is pretty competitive these days, and if you talk to your local guy he might be able to meet you part way on price to keep the work and still do it in spot.

• 6. Re: Pantone to CMYK?
                    Apache93

go to photoshop and watch the match... i think...

• 7. Re: Pantone to CMYK?

This has nothing to do with Photoshop. Do you know anything about printing and the difference between spot color and process color?