8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2011 7:44 PM by Dov Isaacs

Fonts for InDesign?

kregerj

Greetings everyone,

I am brand new to InDesign (CS5.5), and was wondering about the fonts. I noticed that while InDesign includes a nice list of fonts, there are really so much more out there that are not included . So I did a little research, and found out that you can buy the font package from (Font Folio 11)... however, it costs $2,500ish. Wow, really?  I was under the wrong imporession that InDesign (and the other document programs within CS5.5) would already include all of the wonderful fonts that are out there.

Is this an issue for any of you?

Love to hear what others have to say. Sorry for such a newbie question, but it really has given me some concern since I already paid so much for the software and do need to design spectatular documents for demanding clients.

• 1. Re: Fonts for InDesign?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

As you say, InDesign ships with some very nice fonts, but quality fonts can take months or even years of painstaking work to design.

You don't have to buy the Font Folio, you can simply buy the fonts that you need on a case by case basis.

Bob

• 2. Re: Fonts for InDesign?
            BradleyML

And if you were to check prices of just a few of the (publishing-quality) font packages included with InDesign, you might consider that you got ID for free (with more than few more font packages thrown in to boot).

I was lucky, because I tried to upgrade to Quark 8 on my MacBook Pro (I've been a Quark user since around '94), and it was fortunate karma that Quark 8 and my Mac weren't compatible. Quark 8 wouldn't even load. I switched of necessity to ID and got all those bonus OpenType fonts I had expected to have to buy!

Be happy, Bob; I am!

Mike Bradley

• 3. Re: Fonts for InDesign?
              Stix Hart Level 5

We bought Corel Draw simply because it comes with over 1000 quite useful Open Type fonts including some that can substitute for common ones like Helvetica, Univers, Futura, Frutiger, Gill Sans etc.

• 4. Re: Fonts for InDesign?
                [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

kregerj wrote:

I [..] found out that you can buy the font package from (Font Folio 11)... however, it costs $2,500ish. Wow, really?  I was under the wrong imporession that InDesign (and the other document programs within CS5.5) would already include all of the wonderful fonts that are out there.

Is this an issue for any of you?

Love to hear what others have to say. Sorry for such a newbie question, but it really has given me some concern since I already paid so much for the software and do need to design spectatular documents for demanding clients.

That's a ridiculous argumentation. InDesign doesn't come with a press, hence I cannot buy it and print spectacular books. InDesign doesn't come with a scanner interface, so I cannot use it to make photographs. InDesign does'nt come with a computer, so I cannot use it at all.

• 5. Re: Fonts for InDesign?
                  Stix Hart Level 5

[Jongware] wrote:

InDesign does'nt come with a computer, so I cannot use it at all.

Complain to Adobe!

• 6. Re: Fonts for InDesign?
                    kregerj Level 1

Thanks for all of your responses. I didn't mean to sound so presumptuous in my original post. I'm working with a publisher who uses all these odd-ball fonts, many of which I don't have. So... individual fonts can be purchased? From Adobe? Or, do you recommend another source... ?

Thanks again,

Jeff

• 7. Re: Fonts for InDesign?
                      Stix Hart Level 5

There's plenty of places that wil sell you fonts apart from Adobe.

linotype.com

myfonts.com

itcfonts.com

fonthaus.com

fontshop.com

Shop round, and buy opentype where possible, it's much more versatile and you don't have to worry about which OS it will get used on.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Fonts for InDesign?
                        Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Also be sure the EULA (End User License Agreement) for any fonts you license from sources other than Adobe. Make sure that the licenses (1) allow for fonts to be embedded in PDF files using those fonts and (2) if fonts are allowed to be embedded, that there isn't a further royalty to be paid for distributing PDF files with such fonts embedded. Such EULA terms are not uncommon!

- Dov