5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2011 4:33 PM by CG4

Can't Open PDF if it is a form that can be completed & saved

CG4

I recently got a new computer with Windows 7 64-bit.  I am using IE8.  Today I needed to add information to a PDF form that worked just fine with Windows XP and IE8 and was not able to open the form.  I went to the website where I got the form in the first place and couldn't open it there either.  I have been through all the trouble shooting steps that Adobe recommends including uninstalling Adobe Reader and downloading and installing it again with no result.  I can open any PDF that is just a document to be read.  Help!!  I really need to get into some of those forms.

• 1. Re: Can't Open PDF if it is a form that can be completed & saved
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Can you post a link to one so we can test it out?

• 2. Re: Can't Open PDF if it is a form that can be completed & saved
            CG4 Level 1

Hi George.  The link is in a members-only website.  I really don't want to post it on this very public site.  I just barely started with this forum.  Is there a way I could email you privately to send a link?

• 3. Re: Can't Open PDF if it is a form that can be completed & saved
              George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Sure, but you don't have to send me the link if you can download the PDF. Feel free to send it to me at: acroscript at gmail dot com

and I'll be happy to take a look.

• 4. Re: Can't Open PDF if it is a form that can be completed & saved
                CG4 Level 1

Problem is I can't download it OR open it.  I copied the link from the document properties window and sent it to you via the email on your profile.

Thanks in advance for taking a look at it.

• 5. Re: Can't Open PDF if it is a form that can be completed & saved
                  CG4 Level 1

I figured it out thanks to George's having me poke around and look for things.  In the process of checking on exactly what version of Adobe Reader I had (10.1.0) I found a tab in the properties window called "Compatibillity".  On that page it says:  "If you have problems with this program and it worked correctly on an earlier version of Windows, select the compatibiility mode that matches that earlier version."  For me that was Windows XP (Service Pack 3).  There is also a place to check so that I would run the program as an adminiatrator.  I am the administrator of my computer so I decided to give it a try.  I checked the box that says "Run this in the compatibility mode for:"  and then set it to Windows XP (Service Pack 3).  I also checked the box that would let me run the program as an administrator.  I checked ok and closed the Adobe properties window.  I then rebooted the computer.

When the computer came back up, I held my breath and tried again to open a file that I had not been able to open before.  I got a big box from Adobe asking if I wanted to open the document that way with the choices being (in so many words) "No", yes, this time" or "yes always".  There was a link you could click on to find out what it meant if you were opening the document in "unprotected mode" (I think it said).  I went and read all that and decided there was no reason not to try it.  I clicked "Yes,this time" and THE DOCUMENT OPENED and I was able to enter information where I needed to in the form!!!  Woo Hoo!!  I tried another document and had the same happy result.  That time I checked the box that said "do it this way all the time".  So now when I open one, I get no questioning box, which is kind of too bad because I don't exactly remember what it said.  It would have been nice to give you the exact choices.

Anyway, I was able to solve my own problem with a little help from friend George who got me poking around and by doing so helped me find what I needed to solve the problem.  Thanks George!  What a guy! 

Well rats!  When I answer my own question,

I don't get any Correct Answer credit.  Oh well...