2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2011 10:51 PM by Peter Grainge

Problem sharing project folder

Alberti Level 1

I want to allow another author to work collaboratively on an RH9 Webhelp project. The project folder is in a virtual folder:

myname$ on 'Grpfs01'(H:)

and the system admin has created a mapped folder on the other author's computer which allows them to see the folder contents.

However if the other author attempts to open the project, they see the following message:

Invalid project folder path. The project folder must be a full path (c:\project1\)

What needs to happen so that we can both work on this WebHelp project?

• 1. Re: Problem sharing project folder
          Amebr Level 4

If a "virtual folder" means on a network drive rather than local hard disk then you can't really work this way. There are numerous posts with projects getting corrupted or displaying bizarre behaviour when opened from a network drive.

See Snippet 120 on Peter Grainge's site for more information about this:

http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm

If "virtual folder" means on your PC, but given a drive letter mapping so your colleague can see it, then I'm not sure whether that will cause issues. I seem to recall a post recently about someone mapping the project folder to a drive letter and this causing issues, but I can't seem to find the post.

One method of managing multiple authors is using a source control tool. This will store the project on the network but "get" the files to your local PC to work on. It can be complicated to set up and there are a couple of issues to work around but works quite well once up and running.

Snippet 130 on the above site collates a number of posts about using source control that you might find useful if you decide to go this route.

Another method is to store the project on the network but copy the files to your PC when you want to work on them, then back to the network location when you finish. Communication is vital in this scenario to ensure you and your colleagues don't overwrite each other's work - I think the standard practice is to assign specific areas of the project to individual writers. however i don't work this way myself, so am unsure of the exact procedures people use. Another RH user will hopefully chip in with more information.

Hopefully this helps shed some light on the issues,

Amber

• 2. Re: Problem sharing project folder
            Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional

It is this simple.

• The drive has to be on your machine's hard disk and the folder must not be shared, if it is then effectively it is a network drive as far as RoboHelp is concerned.
            • If two or more people want to work on the same project at the same time, then you need source control.

Depending on how your project is structured and what you each need to work on, splitting the project and working on discrete parts could be an option but there is a lot of work fixing links so that they work cross project. What I am talking about here is merged help as described on my site.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge