4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2011 5:57 PM by getho

premiere pro cs5 track matte woes

getho Level 1

I've got 2 duplicate layers.  I'm trying to use curves on the sky.  I've done this beofre - in the same project in fact and it works fine!!

But on the new video layers I'm getting all sorts of digital nastiness.  the pics should tell the story...

2011-07-28_202353.jpg

2011-07-28_202422.jpg

2011-07-28_202622.jpg

and these are the layers and settings (it does this with matte layer on or off - I just switched it on to see if anything happened)

2011-07-28_202648.jpg

No effects on the bottom layer or the track matte (which is a title - very simple test matte created with black and white boxes.)

And this is video 7 layer.  I get the same nastiness with any blend mode.

2011-07-28_202728.jpg

this looks like a graphics card thing to me, but I dont get how at the bottom of the video layers stack are 3 nested clips with different effects including a track matte that applies a layer as multiply - that plays back fine in real time. (deleted whilst testing).

• 1. Re: premiere pro cs5 track matte woes
          getho Level 1

BTW I'm using an nvidia GTX 275, driver 260.99.  I delayed updating the driver because of some other premiere issues that it caused.

Computer is an i7920 with 12gb of ram, SSD boot and WD raptor.  Footage is AVCHD 720.

• 2. Re: premiere pro cs5 track matte woes
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Just for argument's sake, what happens when you eliminate the time remapping on your background (Video 6) layer?

• 3. Re: premiere pro cs5 track matte woes
              getho Level 1

Well I just ditched those 2 layers and started with fresh clips with no effects or time remapping or anything.  set layer 7 to multiply and applied the track matte to it and got the same result.

On the same timeline video 1,2,3,4 are 4 layers that do the same thing.  If I replace with the nested clip from video 7, then it works. But get this.  If I copy those clips to say video 5,6,7,8. Then THOSE clips stop working too.

2011-07-29_103204.jpg

is there are issue with having 2 track mattes on the same timeline?

• 4. Re: premiere pro cs5 track matte woes
                getho Level 1

more info:

If i copy layer 2-4 (2 video track s and matte) to layers 5-7 and then set the track matte to layer 7 it'll flake out. Just out of curiosity and then dleted the original tracks (1-4) and copied the flaky ones back to the bottoms of the stack. Set track matte to 3 and it all works.

I then moved the track matte layer to layer 6 and it flaked out again.

So it seems that putting the track matte in layer 6 or above with make it fail.

I've tried this in a few different ways now it fails reliably in layer 6 or above. So is this just me, or is it a bug?