4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2011 9:29 AM by peter minneapolis

Paragraph style numbering problem

grotejoost1

Hi guys,

I have a weird problem. my auto numbering paragraph styles work great. I have one problem though. The numbers add up, not by position on the page but by order in which i put the text on the page.

ex. I added a paragraph in a frame but decided that above that text there should be another frame with another paragraph. Naturally that highest fram should be paragraph 1.1 and the lower frame should be 1.2 but because i added the higher frame later that frame is now 1.2 and the lower frame is 1.1. Is there a way to change this?

I am running

osx lion

CS5

OSX SL
      CS5

Windows 7

CS5

All have this problem

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Paragraph style numbering problem
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Unless the frames are threaded into a single story, the numbers won't shuffle.

• 2. Re: Paragraph style numbering problem
            grotejoost1 Level 1

So that means that i always have to know for sure what paragraph comes first, add that paragraph and then the other. Otherwise the numbers are wrong? that sounds strange to me.

• 3. Re: Paragraph style numbering problem
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'll let one of the others who doe a lot of work with lists explain this, but automatic numbering updates within a story when paragraphs are rearranged, but if you have a bunch of independent stories in separate frames, it's the order you create them that counts, not the position in the document. Can you thread these frames together into a single story?

• 4. Re: Paragraph style numbering problem
                peter minneapolis Level 4

grotejoost1 wrote:

So that means that i always have to know for sure what paragraph comes first, add that paragraph and then the other. Otherwise the numbers are wrong? that sounds strange to me.

It's not as bad as you think it is.

Auto-numbered lists are designed to create and maintain paragraph numbering within a single story, whether the story is in a single frame, or threaded through multiple frames, as Peter S. noted. if the numbered list paragraph style has the property to continue across stories, i.e., unthreaded text frames, the order of frame creation controls the starting number in each text frame.

You can take advantage of the creation order behavior by cutting a text frame and using Edit > Paste In Place. Each time you paste a text frame, it becomes the last one in the order of creation on the current page. Use this technique to reset the order of the paragraph number. However, if you add new text frames on a page, "downstream" numbered paragraphs that use the same named list will readjust. You'll need to inspect all such numbered list paragraphs.

[EDIT] Removed unintended bolding. [/EDIT]

[EDIT] It's too stubborn to stay removed. Only new should be bolded. [/EDIT]

So, you don't have to create the text frames in the final order you want, you can create them in any order, and when the order is settled, cut and past them in place in that order.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Message was edited by: peter at knowhowpro