8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2011 12:10 PM by the_wine_snob

Premierepro cs5 crash (blue screen)

zonefinder

Hi,

Recently when I start Premiere in DV-NTSC mode it crash to a blue screen and then reboots. If I start pro in HD mode, no broblems; I can work, edit and save in that format. When working in HD mode and I decide to add another sequence to my work in DV-NTSC mode it craches again. I remembre reading a thread in the past where a hard crash like this is almost always hardware related but i canot find the thread. It also spoke about reinstalling premiere but before doing so, certain files chould be deleted manually, i think. If i have to reinstall, i may as well upgrade to cs5.5.

Can anybody shed some light on this problem?

Thank you in davance

zonefinder

• 1. Re: Premierepro cs5 crash (blue screen)
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Excerpt from 'Get help quickly':

The most frustrating issues one can encounter are hangs, BSOD's (blue  screens of death), system errors and other cases of seemingly random  erros that require rebooting, restarting or similar actions, only to be  confronted with the next hang, BSOD or system crash.

These  errors are often difficult to locate, due to the large variety of  systems, components and driver or software versions in use. This is  often further aggravated by sheer lack of expertise, understanding of  what needs to be communicated in order for others to help solve the  issue at hand. And that list is very long.

So, in order to  make it a bit simpler for the average user who encounters these  problems, follow the following steps when posting a problem:

1.  Clearly describe the main problem in the topic, but be brief. Not so  brief as to only say: "Help!" or "URGENT" or another meaningless  statement but get to the point, like: "PP crashes on opening, requiring a  reboot" or "Using DL the system hangs upon return to PP". You get the  point.

2. Briefly describe your hardware, software, OS and versions in use, including disk setup, video card and driver versions, etc.

3. Describe source material, including codec (not AVI, which is not a codec), project settings and other relevant info.

4.  Describe as accurately as possible what you did, what steps you took,  what happened at what moment and what you did to try to resolve it.

5. Go to Start/Run, type in DXDIAG, enter and save all information to a TXT file. Include a link to that file in your post.

6.  Go to Start/Run, type in MSINFO32,  enter and  save the results as a .NFO file. Include a link to that file in your  post.

7. Download Process Explorer , and either post a screen shot or a link to the results.

8. Make a screen shot of the results of SpeedFan or HW Monitor and include that in your post.

When you perform these basic steps, you avoid endless questions about your system and people may be able to help you faster.

If you feel up to it, take a look at The Case of the Unexplained to start your own troubleshooting.

• 3. Re: Premierepro cs5 crash (blue screen)
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I think that should be changed so that only steps 1 through 4 are asked for, as they apply to a lot of issues.  The remaining steps can be asked for on a case by case basis if needed, as that info is more difficult for the user to gather, and in most cases isn't needed anyway.

• 4. Re: Premierepro cs5 crash (blue screen)
              zonefinder Level 1

Hi Harm,

Thank you for your reply and sorry for taking so much time to get back to you; vacations and all. I will try to answer each point you have posted.

point 1: As to the clearity of my description can you give me an idea of what needs clarification? I am sory my english is not my first language;

point 2 : Hardware includes BlackMagic IntensityPro capture card, Adaptec Raid 0 SCSI drives, CD/DVD/BluRay burner, SBAudigy,

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600, Other OS Description Not Available

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E6850  @ 3.00GHz, 3006 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 9/6/2007

SMBIOS Version 2.5

Windows Directory C:\Windows, System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB, Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB, Available Physical Memory 2.74 GB

Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB, Available Virtual Memory 6.66 GB, Page File Space 4.00 GB, Page File C:\pagefile.sys

point 3: Black Magic, Intensity Pro Capture card, Adaptec Raid 0 drives, CD/DVD/BluRay burner, I always match project settings which is the same as the source material typicakly 1920x1080.

piont 4: I was working on a project then i saved it and shut down the pomputer and next day, I could not add a new SD sequence to the work already in progress (HD) it imidiatly turn BSOD.

point 5: DxDiag file; how do add a link? I can do a copy/paste but it will make this post very long.

point 6: MSINFO32 turned out nothing

point 7: process explorer turned out to be RegCleanPro and ran the application.

point 8: fan speed=

fan speed.jpg

I must agree, i am a bit overwhelmed by all of this but i know it has to be done.

My intentions are to upgrade to CS5.5 for this and other reasons and also to replace the IntencityPro capture card(HDMI input busted) with a Matrox MXO2 I/O box with Matrox MAX technology.

Thank you in davance for your help

Cheers

Zonefinder

Harm Millaard wrote:

The most frustrating issues one can encounter are hangs, BSOD's (blue  screens of death), system errors and other cases of seemingly random  erros that require rebooting, restarting or similar actions, only to be  confronted with the next hang, BSOD or system crash.

These  errors are often difficult to locate, due to the large variety of  systems, components and driver or software versions in use. This is  often further aggravated by sheer lack of expertise, understanding of  what needs to be communicated in order for others to help solve the  issue at hand. And that list is very long.

So, in order to  make it a bit simpler for the average user who encounters these  problems, follow the following steps when posting a problem:

1.  Clearly describe the main problem in the topic, but be brief. Not so  brief as to only say: "Help!" or "URGENT" or another meaningless  statement but get to the point, like: "PP crashes on opening, requiring a  reboot" or "Using DL the system hangs upon return to PP". You get the  point.

2. Briefly describe your hardware, software, OS and versions in use, including disk setup, video card and driver versions, etc.

3. Describe source material, including codec (not AVI, which is not a codec), project settings and other relevant info.

4.  Describe as accurately as possible what you did, what steps you took,  what happened at what moment and what you did to try to resolve it.

5. Go to Start/Run, type in DXDIAG, enter and save all information to a TXT file. Include a link to that file in your post.

6.  Go to Start/Run, type in MSINFO32,  enter and  save the results as a .NFO file. Include a link to that file in your  post.

7. Download Process Explorer , and either post a screen shot or a link to the results.

8. Make a screen shot of the results of SpeedFan or HW Monitor and include that in your post.

When you perform these basic steps, you avoid endless questions about your system and people may be able to help you faster.

If you feel up to it, take a look at The Case of the Unexplained to start your own troubleshooting.

• 5. Re: Premierepro cs5 crash (blue screen)
                Harm Millaard Level 7

First, on your hardware. A dual core E-series CPU is around 35-60 times slower than a fast system. BM Intensity and SB Audigy are both candidates for being at fault here. They have been known to cause problems in certain cases.

You can insert a link to a DXDIAG file or other by using the Insert Link (the big A icon from the bar above, next to the Table icon).

Your Speedfan screenshot has gotten me worried a bit. Your +12V rail is showing only 7.87V, which could well be the cause of your problems.

Please try to attach the DXDIAG file to your reply and a screenshor of Process Explorer.

• 6. Re: Premierepro cs5 crash (blue screen)
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I didn't see anywhere in this thread where you say exactly which version of Premiere Pro you're running? 5.0.0? 5.0.3?

Make sure that you have the most recent updates installed.

• 7. Re: Premierepro cs5 crash (blue screen)
                    zonefinder Level 1

Hi, I know I could do with more RAM but I did not see the CPU saga comming. I guess I will have to live with it for the time being. The BM intensity Pro Board is no longer in my system and i also removed the drivers ans the software. I upgraded to 5.0.3 from 5.0.0 today and still the same problem. I tried another editor  to see if the Firewire input was the cause but I was able to capture from a DV source with no problems.  The big A icon from the bar above, next to the Table icon is for inserting a URL or a picture at lease I am not able to insert a txt file from my desktop;What am I missing? I inserted the picture of the Speedfan using the A in the last post with no problems.

Cheers

• 8. Re: Premierepro cs5 crash (blue screen)
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

The function to Attach a file, other than a URL, or an Image, was removed, maybe 18 mos. ago. Too many were uploading some malicious code with it, so Adobe took it down, until they could fortify the security. Have not heard any reports on how that effort is going. As we are near an upgrade for the forum software, it might show back up, but just not now.

I do not believe that there is anything in this ARTICLE, that Harm has not touched on, regarding the BSOD, but just in case, I am posting a link. Also, most of that material came from one of Harm's articles, so he's most likely covered everything useful.

Good luck,

Hunt