5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2011 1:04 PM by Jim_Simon

Why can't I get wide screen when burning a dvd?

bunkerramo

My sequence is all 1920x 1080 HD footage in mpeg2. My photos are all 1920 x1080 px. In encore if I want to burn a standard DVD it automatically goes to 720x480 if I choose " mpeg2dvd" format. Why isn't there a wide screen mpeg2 dvd format?

• 1. Re: Why can't I get wide screen when burning a dvd?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Why isn't there a wide screen mpeg2 dvd format?

There are--several, in fact, depending on your source sequence:

widescreen.png

Those are just presets; you can customize or roll-your-own by changing the Pixel Aspect Ratio setting to "Widescreen 16:9 (1.212)" in the export settings.

• 2. Re: Why can't I get wide screen when burning a dvd?
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

But even the widescreen DVD format is not going to be 1920x1080. Widescreen DVD is just the same standard-definition video with wider pixels.

DVD video is a very specific video format. It is a standard-defintion video format. There is no such thing as DVD video that is high-definition (e.g., 1920x1080).

• 3. Re: Why can't I get wide screen when burning a dvd?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

it automatically goes to 720x480

That is the only size video that will go onto a DVD.  You make it widescreen by changing the Pixel Aspect Ratio from .9 to 1.2.

• 4. Re: Why can't I get wide screen when burning a dvd?
                bunkerramo Level 1

Colin, what you show is the  dialog box when I do file> export media, right? Except mine is different (Pr 5.5 iss different?) and has a check box for "match source attributes" and when that is checked the format box is grayed out.  And I don't see where you can customize anything.

What's the purpose of File>export media if it doesn't create a dvd?

If i do File> dyn link> send to encore there is no dialog box like you showed. it doesn't give any choices except dvd or blu ray and no "wide screen".

Are you all saying that 720x480 is all you get on a dvd and if your source is 16x9 it will squish it to fit? aren't hollywood dvd's in 16x9?

• 5. Re: Why can't I get wide screen when burning a dvd?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Are you all saying that 720x480 is all you get on a dvd and if your source is 16x9 it will squish it to fit?

Correct.  The display will do the 'unsquishing'.

aren't hollywood dvd's in 16x9?

Most are actually 2.39:1 these days.  The rest are probably 1.85:1, which means if done correctly, you should be getting some degree of black bars on all your Hollywood movies.  (Assuming your display shows the full raster, which is rare.)

But more to the point, even Hollywood DVDs can store only 720 x 480.  They use the same wider pixels for widescreen that we have to.

1 person found this helpful