11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2011 10:50 AM by Grant H

Objects shift with new pages

Robin Bartsch

I have a number of 2-page masters that I am using -- inside margin at spine is 1", outside margin is 0.5".  All the pages in the document are based on a master (2-page).

So the problem is that when I insert a single new page into the document, the objects on them align to the margins rather than the page, which means that all the objects shift by 0.5".  Is there an option that I'm missing that specifies that objects align to page rather than margin?

Cheers

Windows XP

CS5

• 1. Re: Objects shift with new pages
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Can you post some screen shots, please? Use the camera icon onthe web page to embed them in a post:

CameraIcon.png

Are these objects that move present on the master page? Snapped to guides?

If you have uneven margins, why WOULDN'T you want things to move if the page changes sides? Or did I misunserstand and they are not moving when you want them to?

• 2. Re: Objects shift with new pages
            Robin Bartsch Level 1

An object is on the left side of a spread and it is aligned to the page (object is a full page, placed object) as well as that 0.5" margin on the left (outside). When I insert only one page this object now moves to the right side of the spread -- makes sense.  But the object is now moved to be aligned with the inside (1") margin on the inside of the spread.  Before is first, after is next.

before.jpgafter.jpg

• 3. Re: Objects shift with new pages

OK, that does seem pretty odd, and I can't explain it from either a Master Page or Layout Adjustment perspective, so I think there's something up with either the document or perhaps ID. Start with Remove minor corruption by exporting, then try Replace Your Preferences if you still have a problem.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Objects shift with new pages
                Grant H Level 4

is the master page in question setup as 2 pages?

G

edit: sorry cant read!

• 5. Re: Objects shift with new pages
                  Robin Bartsch Level 1

I did an IDML export -- no dice.  Still happened.  And no preferences set up -- work computer, so I'm pretty much straight out of the box, as it were, aside from rulers to inches instead of picas.

I may just do some "Align" once I'm done.

C'est la vie. . .

• 6. Re: Objects shift with new pages
                    Grant H Level 4
                    So the problem is that when I insert a single new page into the document, the objects on them align to the margins rather than the page, which means that all the objects shift by 0.5".

thats how its intended to work tho... if you created the inside margin for ummm lets say for punch holes and you add a page before the page with said object you dont want the object (in this case 0.5") from the spine...

G

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Objects shift with new pages
                      Robin Bartsch Level 1

Ahhh. . .  Fair enough.  That would make perfect sense, although it ultimately becomes a pain.  Thanks Grant.

Cheers

• 8. Re: Objects shift with new pages

Grant H wrote:

So the problem is that when I insert a single new page into the document, the objects on them align to the margins rather than the page, which means that all the objects shift by 0.5".

thats how its intended to work tho... if you created the inside margin for ummm lets say for punch holes and you add a page before the page with said object you dont want the object (in this case 0.5") from the spine...

G

No, in this case the object is the size of the page and is aligned to the page boundaries, and it should stay that way when another page is added. The only reason something would shift is if it were a master object or aligned to guides and layout Adjustment were enable, but this is just moving half an inch for no reason.

@ Robin,

I'm not suggesting you edit your preferences, I'm suggesting you replace them entirely with a fresh set. From time to time prefs go bad and cause strange things to happen. This might or might not be the case here, but it's easy to do and fairly painless if you don't have a lot of customization to replace. Please read the second link I gave you above.

• 9. Re: Objects shift with new pages
                          Grant H Level 4
                          No, in this case the object is the size of the page and is aligned to the page boundaries

hmmn yes of course...

Robin: are you sure that the "full page" object frame is Exactly the same size as the page and aligned perfectly...

G

• 10. Re: Objects shift with new pages
                            Robin Bartsch Level 1

Peter,

Did the defaults/preferences reset, and alas, nothing new.  I have resigned myself to align. . .

Thanks for the help, though.  I'm going to keep searching around and see if I can find anything.

Cheers

• 11. Re: Objects shift with new pages
                              Robin Bartsch Level 1

Grant H wrote:

No, in this case the object is the size of the page and is aligned to the page boundaries

hmmn yes of course...

Robin: are you sure that the "full page" object frame is Exactly the same size as the page and aligned perfectly...

G

Positive.  Everything jives.