4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2011 11:34 PM by Jim_Simon

DV import - audio is out of sync 3 frames

Christina C. R. Level 1

This never happened to me in FCP, so curious as to why audio is out of sync 3 frames...

Footage is DV/NTSC 48K/16 bit, (footage is not shot w/this camera but) I am importing with my SONY hdr-hc7 (as usuall). 

Thanks

• 1. Re: DV import - audio is out of sync 3 frames
          Jim_Simon Level 8

As capture in PP is simply a transfer of bytes from tape to hard drive without alteration, chances are the error is with the playback, or it was shot that way.

For example, if you're sending signal out via FireWire to an external monitor, there is a natural delay, so the image on your monitor will lag slightly behind the sound.

Or, if the subject was far away, and the sound had to travel a bit to reach the camera, the two can appear slightly out of sync.

• 2. Re: DV import - audio is out of sync 3 frames
            joe bloe premiere Level 5

First, what is your point of reference for determining sync?

Have you captured the same clip into FCP and seen a sync difference?

I would suggest recording a test clip with your camera (clapping your
            hands in front of the lens or something), capture it and test the sync.
            At least that would eliminate questions regarding the tape you are using
            that you say was not shot on the same camera.

edit:

Expand your audio track to reveal the waveform, zoom in
            and see if the audio peak matches the action.

This will eliminate any question about delay in your audio monitoring.

• 3. Re: DV import - audio is out of sync 3 frames
              Christina C. R. Level 1

Hi, thank you for your responses...

I know the sync on the actual tape is fine because I also captured into FCP to compare, and the audio was fine there... I also played back directly on a TV from the tape, and it was also okay. I noticed more when I actually exported my edited spot viewed in QT player, and it was out of sync. That is actually where It was most noticible... Then I opened a captured clip directly in QT Pro 7 and it was out of sync. I then imported the clip that I captured via Premier into FCP, and again out of sync...

This has never happened in FCP in my many years of using it... I tihnk it may be a Premier Bug, as I searched and found some similar sounding issues.

Or perhaps some setting was wrong, who knows. I don't know how much longer I will be capturing DV but if there is a fix out here it would be great. And its not a huge issue, but it is rather cumbersome having to re-adjsut each clip by 3 frames.

• 4. Re: DV import - audio is out of sync 3 frames
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                viewed in QT player

Don't do that.  Use VLC on a computer, or better yet, burn a test DVD.