13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2011 6:04 PM by Grant H

System fonts

ToonVW Level 1

I have two questions regarding using fonts in Indesign ( and also in illustrator, photoshop etc.).

For the management of all my fonts I use FontExplorer X Pro.

1. When I type a text into a textframe of Indesign, the text appears in Apple Braille font. In the past it was Helvetica or Times.

How comes? And how I can change this.

2. In the list of fonts I use for a project, the systemfonts of Apple always appears too. But I don't need none of these fonts.

What can / must I do to take this list off?

Thank you for a good and usefull answer.

Toon Van Wambeke

graphic designer

• 1. Re: System fonts
          Grant H Level 4

1. with no document open change the font...

2. use a suitable font manager.

G

• 2. Re: System fonts
            ToonVW Level 1

1. And how and where can I do so?

2.  I use now Linotype Fontexplorer X Pro. In The past I used Suitcase.

In none of these programs I can turn off the system fonts.

Op 29-jul.-2011, om 00:07 heeft Grant H het volgende geschreven:

1. with no document open change the font...

2. use a suitable font manager.

G

>

• 3. Re: System fonts
              Grant H Level 4

1. Start ID, dont open a doc, click on the type tool (or press T) and select a font (top left of screen) now when u open a doc the default will be the font you chaged to.

2. opps misread, not possible.

G

• 4. Re: System fonts
                ToonVW Level 1

Right I did so. I choose Helvetica.

But when I start a new page, make a text box and start typing the font Helvetica jumps again in Apple Braille.

What I want is that I can change this for ever.

Thanks.

Op 29-jul.-2011, om 00:20 heeft Grant H het volgende geschreven:

1. Start ID, dont open a doc, click on the type tool (or press T) and select a font (top left of screen) now when u open a doc the default will be the font you chaged to.

2. opps misread, not possible.

G

>

• 5. Re: System fonts
                  Grant H Level 4
                  I start a new page

are you opening an existing document after you defaulted the font to helvetica?

G

• 6. Re: System fonts
                    ToonVW Level 1

No.

Op 29-jul.-2011, om 00:35 heeft Grant H het volgende geschreven:

>> I start a new page

are you opening an existing document after you defaulted the font to helvetica?

G

>

• 7. Re: System fonts
                      Grant H Level 4

very odd! And if you quit ID restart it, change font and then open new doc.

G

• 8. Re: System fonts
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

For any existing file you will have to set the default font with the file open.

Do you have more than one paragraph style defined? Id so, which is selected as the default style, and does that use the Braille font? If your styles call for the wrong fonts it's better to edit the style than simply change the font in the Cahracter or Control panel. On the other hand, if you are not a user of styles (you really should learn how to do that if you don't), the default font will become whatever is set in the Character/Control panel when there is no text cursor active or text selected (which includes selecting a text frame that is not threaded to other frames).

• 9. Re: System fonts
                          Grant H Level 4

For any existing file you will have to set the default font with the file open.

Do you have more than one paragraph style defined?

I asked if he was opening an existing doc,  he said no.

G

• 10. Re: System fonts

I know, but I'm not sure that we all understand English clearly in this thread, and there may be some confusion about what you meant. I had to think twice, myself, about what you asked.

• 11. Re: System fonts
                              Grant H Level 4

lol... ok point taken, my brain (thankfully) works quicker that my typing/explaining...  (mayb when ive got 20000 posts under my belt that wuld have drastically improved)

G

• 12. Re: System fonts

You may notice that sometimes my posts seem overly long, or have more information than might seem to be required. I have two reasons for doing that. First, I like to be sure that the response is as clear as I can make it, espcially when I know the OP is not a native English speaker (I even try to check my spelling better), and second because sometime other users will find a thread when looking for the answer to their own problems. If the reason you ask a question like "are you opening an new document?" is clearly spelled out it can make a big difference for these later users.

This is not meant to diminish your responses in any way. As you say, I've been here a lot longer than most, and I've developed a very good sense for reading between the lines in posts. What you've been doing is extremely helpful, and I want you to know I do appreciate that you take the time to give a hand.

• 13. Re: System fonts
                                  Grant H Level 4

cool, tx I'll try to emulate that approach... G