7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2011 9:54 PM by Frédéric Segard

Need advice on how to use a samsung 470 128gb ssd in laptop win 7, please

tfi productions 44 Level 1

hello,

i have a  laptop with 2 hdd's running win 7 64 bit with 8gb of ram

i thought about installing 2   10k drives, but that would heat the laptop up

and drain battery life quickly

so

i found the samsung 470 ssd series  to use for the os drive

and have questions that i cannot find answers to

(either from the web or samsung's website)

reading this link about 'shortstroking' the ssd

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?67119-Short-Stroking-SSD

my os only uses 40gigs (and i haven't really, really gone through it to delete bloatware)

at most i see myself using 80 gigs of the 128gig model

1) should i 'not partition' the drive and let everything be as it may

or

should i create a 90 gig partition, thus 'shortstroking' it to try to gain more performance?

2) should i locate the static page file on the ssd

or

locate it on the 2nd hdd media drive?

is anyone doing this or have advice?

thanks again for your help

j

• 1. Re: Need advice on how to use a samsung 470 128gb ssd in laptop win 7, please

hello,

just found this nifty article and program 'tree size'

regarding ssd clean up

http://www.xdude.com/ssd-hard-drive-windows-7-winsxs

the program is very cool

kind of like space sniffer:

http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/index.html

take care,

j

• 2. Re: Need advice on how to use a samsung 470 128gb ssd in laptop win 7, please

hello,

after reading, it turns out that you can't/shouldn't put a 10k drive into a laptop

because of the voltage requirement

i'm looking at the seagate momentus 500gb hybrid drive with 4gb of ssd

to use as the 2nd media drive

combined with the 128gb samsung 470 ssd

also, moving the winsxs directory seems very risky to me

but the treesize program is a lot easier to read than spacesniffer....

take care,

j

• 3. Re: Need advice on how to use a samsung 470 128gb ssd in laptop win 7, please
              Frédéric Segard Level 2

What model Laptop do you have? Do you have the samsung drive with you already? Is your internal SATA connection for the HDD SATAII or SATAIII?

The Samsung 470 series 128GB is SATA II at 250MBps read speeds. For the same price, approximately, you can get a SATA III Corsair Force 3 120GB at 550MBps read speeds. Even if you only had SATA II on your laptop, you'll benefit from the speed regardless, and you'll be able to recycle that drive for your next computer.  Look at it this way, SATA II's theoretical limit is 3Gbps, that is 375MBps. With the SATAIII SSD, you'll floor the limit of the SATA II interface to it's maximum. You can't have faster then that. If you have SATA III, even better.

You can safely keep your pagefile on the boot drive if you have an SSD (and even less to worry about if you have a SATA III SSD). It'is fast enough. Besides, it's not as if you had much choice in a laptop. Normaly, laptops are limited to 1 hard drive. And putting the page file on a USB drive is ludicrous.

There is also no need to partition SSDs. There is no performance loss or gains to do so, other then segmenting data. And creating too small of a boot partition might cause you grief in the future if the system drive fills up for whatever valid reason. Stick to one partition!

By the way, never defragment an SSD!  NEVER EVER!

• 4. Re: Need advice on how to use a samsung 470 128gb ssd in laptop win 7, please

hello Frederic,

first of all thanks a ton for the calibration info

that was excellent!

it's an hp laptop with a removable optical drive of which

i installed a 2nd hdd for media

i just found the corsair ssd you mentioned at newegg

and 57% of the reviews are terrible

whereas 100% of the reviews for the samsung are 5 eggs

(they say the samsung isn't the fastest but it is the most sturdiest)

it has a sataII interface

i agree with you about not defragging ssd's

thanks for the answer about not partitioning and locating the pagefile...

my desktop at home has 2 sata3 ports...

after all this research i think i might get the 128 gb ssd for my desktop

which leads me to another question about the laptop:

my os drive is 40gb

i don't see it getting much bigger than that

in terms of installing programs

do you think i could 'get away with' installing a 64gb ssd in the laptop

or will it fill up or run slow because of the limited headroom?

i think it is better to go with a highly stable ssd than a tempermental faster ssd

thanks for answering,

j

• 5. Re: Need advice on how to use a samsung 470 128gb ssd in laptop win 7, please
                  Frédéric Segard Level 2

Mmmm, well, I'm surprised about the Force 3 SSDs. My local vendor swears by the Corsairs, and said they are top notch. I do remember telling me of issues they had a while back. It may be related to that... or it may not. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll inquire.

Well, in that case, here's an equivalent OCZ model: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227729

It's funny though when people say, it's not the fastest SSD...but... the whole point of having SSDs is to have speed. Granted the slowest SSD is faster then the fastest HDD. But still.  Just an observation, specially considering the price. But for sure it's more important stability over speed in any work circumstances.

As for the OS drive. I personnaly would feel cramped with a 64GB OS drive. It won't take much to fill. Plus, like a hard drive, you don't want to run it at near full capacity.

But quite honestly, do you really need an SSD boot drive? Once you booted and PPro is loaded, you won't gain much speed after that. It's not as if you were going to benefit from it while editing. You're better off putting that money somewhere else that really counts. Max out your RAM if not already done.

• 6. Re: Need advice on how to use a samsung 470 128gb ssd in laptop win 7, please

hello Frederic,

thanks for your insight

here is a link to an extensive review for the samsung:

http://www.cclonline.com/article/88/Reviews/Storage/Samsung-470-Series-64GB-Solid-State-Ha rd-Drive-Review/

in the end the reviewer probably wouldn't get one

i like your idea about once PPRO loads there isn't much of a benefit

and with all the 'tweaks' i've already done to the os it loads pretty quick

so maybe money would be better spent elsewhere

buydig.com has the 64gb model selling for a $100

that's a pretty cool deal

talk to you soon,

j

• 7. Re: Need advice on how to use a samsung 470 128gb ssd in laptop win 7, please
                      Frédéric Segard Level 2

tfi productions 44 wrote:

i just found the corsair ssd you mentioned at newegg

and 57% of the reviews are terrible

whereas 100% of the reviews for the samsung are 5 eggs

(they say the samsung isn't the fastest but it is the most sturdiest)

Oh, by the way, about the Corsair Force 3 120GB. I did a little research on them, and all SSDs under serial number 1123 are problematic. But above that, they are all fine. There was some sort of component and firmware flaw, and fixed it. Corsair is replacing all the defective ones.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=95688

I was bit put off at first when I saw the customer comments at newegg when you mentionned it, because I was thinking of getting that model. But now I can rest assured.