5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2011 8:53 AM by peter minneapolis

Apply different master page

pistacchioso

I'm formatting a simple book (novel) document. I have basically two master pages, one is for basic pages (a large text field and a page number) and the other is for the first page of a chapter, with the text field starting mid-page and another textfield for the chapter name (all really basic).

Both the master pages are two-paged, with the left text field linking to the right so that I can just import the source text of the novel in RTF format and let InDesign create all the needed pages for me. I do this with the basic page master.

How can I afterwards change the master page in every first chapter page and apply the correct one converting the full-sized text field into the mid-page one and having the text field for the chapter name? Trying to apply said master page results in having it added to the page, like it overlaps what's already there without even getting the text.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Apply different master page
          Gopalboopathy

Hi

First create two master pages as you required and drag the master page and apply. if the already master page has some edits it won't be apply the changes

• 2. Re: Apply different master page
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What you are seeing is normal behavior for reapplying a master page. Any objects on the document page (which includes master text frame that have had text flowed into them, overriding them onto the document page) are preserved and new master objects are created. Harbs' AutoFlow Pro (www.in-tools.com) might work in this situation, but I'm not really sure.

Without an external plugin, the strategy that I would use is to divide the document into individual stories for each chapter. This is really important, anyway, to keep your chapter starts on the chapter start pages if you edit later. Text additions or deletions affect everything in the story downstream and can push things to a new page unintentionally. If each chapter is its own story, any empty space created will be at the end of the chapter, and any text that won't fit on the last page assigned to that chapter will become overset so you can add pages where they need to be.

I also would NOT use master text frames for the body copy, only headers and footers. As you gain more experience you'll discover they usually casue more trouble than any benefit they might provide would be worth. ID will create text frames on the fly when flowing text from a file (or picked up overset text), and these frames will conform to the column and margin guides on your pages, with the exception of where you click the loaded cursor. When you click and release the"Place Gun" cursor with loaded text the frame that is created will be the width of the containing guides, but will run vertically from the point where you click to teh bottom margin. If you've held Shift to autoflow, remaining frames will fill the margins completely.

What this means is it's pretty straightforward to flow text into book pages set up with different masters if you set your margins to be the sizes of the text blocks for the pages. For your chapter start you would use a large top margin (and I would add space after to the chapter head style so it can be in the same frame, a little timesaver -- but a second frame is OK), then add a page based on the body master. How you proceed from there is largley a matter of choice. Draw empty frames on both pages, and link them, then auto-flow to place the entire story, or click and release on the start page, adjust the frame if needed, then pick up the overset and autoflow onto the remaining pages (if you click on the top margin, the first frame should not need adjusting, but if you are little off, it's easy to fix).

If your book is already placed, you have some manual work to do. I explained to another user how to break apart chapters into individual stories a couple of days ago in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/881797?tstart=100

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Apply different master page
              peter minneapolis Level 4

pistacchioso wrote:

I'm formatting a simple book (novel) document. I have basically two master pages, one is for basic pages (a large text field and a page number) and the other is for the first page of a chapter, with the text field starting mid-page and another textfield for the chapter name (all really basic).

Both the master pages are two-paged, with the left text field linking to the right so that I can just import the source text of the novel in RTF format and let InDesign create all the needed pages for me. I do this with the basic page master.

How can I afterwards change the master page in every first chapter page and apply the correct one converting the full-sized text field into the mid-page one and having the text field for the chapter name? Trying to apply said master page results in having it added to the page, like it overlaps what's already there without even getting the text.

Thanks

Rather than doing manual work to undo the automatic misbehavior of applied master pages, consider not applying a master page to existing pages, manually resizing and repositioning the main text frame on each chapter-start document page, and deleting unwanted header and footer objects.

If text reflows, as Peter S. notes, it's easier to control by separating each chapter into its own file, and gathering them in an InDesign book.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 4. Re: Apply different master page
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

peter at knowhowpro wrote:

If text reflows, as Peter S. notes, it's easier to control by separating each chapter into its own file, and gathering them in an InDesign book.

Who said anything about separate docs gathered into a book? That's certainly an option, but not at all necessary. You can have as many single-chapter stroies as you like in a single document.

• 5. Re: Apply different master page
                  peter minneapolis Level 4

P Spier wrote:

peter at knowhowpro wrote:

Who said anything about separate docs gathered into a book? That's certainly an option, but not at all necessary. You can have as many single-chapter stroies as you like in a single document.

Ooops, misread. Will read slower.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices