13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2011 7:47 AM by the_wine_snob

audio only on first few seconds

d2thdoc@hotmail.com

I have a problem with the audio on PE9. I use the Organizer to import the files from my hd. The files play perfectly with Quick Time and VLC. When I play the file in PE9 I notice that only the first 5 to 10 seconds of sound show in the timeline. The rest of the file has no sound and there is a flat line in the audio channel. The camera is a Pentax compact that uses .mov file format. In VLC the audio codec is shown as PCM U 8. My question is why do I only get a few seconds of sound? Is there a way to get the sound for the whole file? I am using win 7 64 bit. I'd appreciate any help or ideas.

• 1. Re: audio only on first few seconds
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

When one gets truncated Audio on an Imported file, it is often an issue with the Conforming of the Audio for editing. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

Good luck, and perhaps post a screen-cap from G-Spot, with the full Audio specs. in those files.

Hunt

• 2. Re: audio only on first few seconds
            d2thdoc@hotmail.com Level 1

When I ran Gspot I got

the following : Rendering failed The

following is the error

reported by Directshow 0x80040265.

Don't know what to try next.

• 3. Re: audio only on first few seconds
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Hm-m,

With a DirectShow error, I am curious if you have FFDShow installed. Did you install it, or any CODEC "packs?"

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: audio only on first few seconds

I have not installed any codec packs.Unless ffdshow installed with handbrake or vlc I have not knowingly installed it.

I have 9 clips from a recent trip. Each clip is 1 to 3.5 mins in length. In each clip the audio will play for the first 5 seconds or so. Then no sound. Also the audio on the timeline shows no sound after the first few sec. just a flat line.

• 5. Re: audio only on first few seconds
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I would look around Add/Remove Programs, for FFDShow. Another place would be Task Manager, to see if it's loaded and running. Yet another would be MSCONFIG and the Services  and the Startup tabs.

That might not be the issue, but FFDShow has been known to cause issues with Adobe programs for many.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: audio only on first few seconds

I checked the Start up, task mng., add-remove. No FFDShow. The audio is stated as 7875 Hz 8 bit mono coming from camera. Project Audio Format is 8000 Hz 32-bit floating point - mono. This is a PCM u8 format. Will I need to convert the audio somehow or bite the bullet and buy Quicktime Pro to edit?

• 7. Re: audio only on first few seconds
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Hm-m,

That is rather an odd Audio Sample Rate & Bit-Rate. Normally, one sees 24KHz, 32KHz, 44.1KHz or 48KHz, at 8-bit, 12-bit or 16-bit. The 32-bit floating point is the Conformed Audio, for precise editing, and is to be expected, however the 8KHz Sample Rate is not what I would expect for the Project. Normally, that is Conformed to 48KHz, which is the standard for DVD Audio.

When you look at the Audio Track where the problem Clip is located, and expand that Audio Track vertically (if you hover the Cursor at the juncture of the Audio Track in the Track Header, you will see the Cursor to change shape to a little = sign with arrowheads - click+drag), does the Waveform Display stop where the Audio ceases to play? If so, this sounds like the CFA & PEK files were truncated. This usually happens when the Conforming process has been interrupted.

One test that you can run is to close out of PrE, and navigate to your Media Cache folder in the Scratch Disks' location, and find the CFA and PEK files for one of the problem Audio files. They will have the same name as your Clip, but will be CFA and PEK. Those are the Conformed Audio file and the Waveform Display for the Audio in that Clip. Choose one pair for a problem Clip and Delete those two files - the CFA and the PEK. When you relaunch PrE and Open that Project, PrE will reconstruct the CFA and PEK for that Clip. Make sure to let the Conforming complete 100%, before touching the computer. There is a little progress bar at the lower-right of the GUI. Do not do anything, until it disappears. Test.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: audio only on first few seconds

The wave form does disappear

when the sound stops.

I deleted the media cache files as instructed. This did not work. Still having same problem. Files play fine in Quiktime with audio playing the whole way thru the clip. I am stumped.  As an aside, I have never seen any progress indicator on the lower right of the GUI.

• 9. Re: audio only on first few seconds
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

For the Conforming operation, things might well go by too quickly to see the progress bar (lower-right of the GUI), depending on the speed of the system, the Duration of the Clips and the amount of processing required for that Audio.

I am at a loss to explain why the CFA (what you are actually editing with) is being truncated.

As another test, and a possible workaround, use an audio-editing program, like Adobe Audition, or even the great, free Audacity, to rip the Audio from the muxed (Multiplexed - combined Audio & Video) file. Save_As a PCM/WAV and then Import that. Place that file on a free Audio Track, and align it with the Audio from the AV Clip. This is easiest with Snap ON. Then, and for now, open Audio Mixer (Window>Audio Mixer), and just Mute the Track with the original Audio Clip. Test.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: audio only on first few seconds

I tried Audacity. No joy. It gave me a message saying that it "recognized the type of file and that importers supposedly supporting such files are FFmpeg-compatible files, but none of them understood this file format."

Thanks for your help

• 11. Re: audio only on first few seconds
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, the specs. of the Audio were odd, to say the least.

Maybe others will have some helpful tips, but I think that the camera's recording specs. are causing an issue. If Audacity cannot handle the Audio stream, then something is very far off.

Sorry that I could not be of more help.

Hunt

• 12. Re: audio only on first few seconds

Well I dug around and found the cd that came with the camear. I installed the program acd show part of the acdsee pentax program. This transcoded my clip to wma. all is well. Thank you for all of your kind help.

• 13. Re: audio only on first few seconds
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news!

Even if one does not use the utilities that ship with their camera, those utilities often install useful CODEC's, and can also prove useful to preparing the footage for editing in other programs. Each camera mfgr. likes to tweak things a bit, and this can cause issues in the editing workflow. Often, one, or more, of those utilities might just prepare the footage for general editing programs. I have all Canon utilities for my video and my stills cameras, that also shoot motion. I have the utilities for my wife's Panasonic, though she has never used it for motion - just in case.

Some might argue that those utilities take up HDD space, and they do, but my C:\ is large and mostly empty, so having aspects, such as the exact CODEC version, that a camera uses, is worth the little bit of HDD space, that these occupy.

Good luck and happy editing,

Hunt