16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2011 5:26 AM by Peter Spier

Crossed-out pencil icon above all text frames

crisprice Level 1

Hi all,

I've inherited an InDesign file and need to make copy changes but all of the text frames are uneditable. There is a crossed-out pencil icon above each frame (something I've never seen before) and I cannot remove it. The frames are not locked - I can move them around and delete them. I can highlight the text but not cut or edit.

I know I can copy and paste the text into new frames and delete the uneditable ones, but it's a big brochure and there are lots of frames on each page!

I've unchecked 'Prevent selection of locked objects' in general prefs but this made no difference (it's not a lock issue??).

Hoping this is just me being ignorant. Any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Crossed-out pencil icon above all text frames
          Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

The icon you describe is when a layer is locked. Go to Layers Panel and uncheck the lock icon for that particular layer.

• 2. Re: Crossed-out pencil icon above all text frames
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Can you post a screen shot please? Use the camera I con on the web page to embed the image in a post:

CameraIcon.png

I don't think this is a locked layer issue as you say youcan select and move the frames. Perhaps these are InCopy assignements that are not checked back in...

• 3. Re: Crossed-out pencil icon above all text frames
              crisprice Level 1

Hi Peter,

Here's the screenshot...the crossed-out pencil icon is a bit small (it stays the same size when I zoom in on an area) but that's it above the text frame. It appears in the same place above all frames and only shows up when 'Show frame edges' is selected.

It's definitely not a locked layer issue and there is no padlock icon on the frame.

Thanks

Chris

Screen shot 2011-07-29 at 18.45.59.png

• 4. Re: Crossed-out pencil icon above all text frames
                crisprice Level 1

Here's a another screenshot, showing 3 of the icons...

Screen shot 2011-07-29 at 19.05.44.png

• 5. Re: Crossed-out pencil icon above all text frames

I'm not certain -- I don't have InCopy experience and the icon seems not to be quite where I would expect it, but I think this might be an indicator or an incopy assignement checked out to another user.

Try Window > Editorial > Assignments... and from the Panel menu choose Check In All (maybe do this on a copy for safety).

Where's Bob when you need him?

• 6. Re: Crossed-out pencil icon above all text frames
                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I'm here. I'm here!

Those are most definitely InCopy files and they're checked out. You can kill them by deleting them from the assignments panel or by choosing them in the links panel and selecting unlink from the panel menu.

Bob

• 7. Re: Crossed-out pencil icon above all text frames
                      crisprice Level 1

Thanks for the update, I feel we're getting closer to finding the problem but nothing is working yet!!

I've opened the assignments panel and nothing is clickable and I can't delete the file name. Could I be missing some kind of supplementary file that links to all this??? I know nothing about InCopy but does it create linked files?

Here's a couple of screen shots of the panel showing the file name...

Screen shot 2011-07-29 at 20.41.45.png and when I right click... Screen shot 2011-07-29 at 20.42.11.png

I added my user name to see if that would trigger anything, but nothing has changed, and Open Package doesn't seem to want to open any files that I've looked at - which makes me think there's something missing.

Bob, there doesn't appear to be anything in my Links panel associated with InCopy or assignments.

Chris

• 8. Re: Crossed-out pencil icon above all text frames
                        BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

See where it says unassigned InCopy content? Open that up.

If there's nothing there, give me a screenshot of the links panel.

Bob

• 9. Re: Crossed-out pencil icon above all text frames
                          Mary Posner Level 3

Do you know (or can you find out) if the document and its associated InCopy content was previously managed in K4 or another workflow system? If someone saved a copy out without revoking it from K4, it might look something like what you describe. If that's the case, vjoon has a free plug-in that'll release the text frames:

http://www.vjoon.com/products/vjoon-content-activator/

Give it a try -- on a copy, of course.

• 10. Re: Crossed-out pencil icon above all text frames
                            crisprice Level 1

Hi Bob,

Unassigned InCopy content is greyed out and can't be opened.

The links panel has over a 100 links (either jpgs, tifs, pdfs and eps and not all relinked) but here's a screen shot of most of it....

Thanks

Chris

Screen shot 2011-07-29 at 23.59.02.png

• 11. Re: Crossed-out pencil icon above all text frames
                              crisprice Level 1

Hi Mary,

It is highly likely that the content was managed by some kind of workflow system as the file originated from a global ad agency (who no longer work with my client, hence my picking up the file) but there is little chance of finding out which system, if any, was employed.

Nevertheless, your suggestion, and the documentation about vjoon sounded spot on - so I downloaded and installed the plug-in for CS5.

It's definitely installed ok but the command to activate (Select the command “Adobe InDesign > Layout > Activate Content”.) is not appearing!

Close but no cigar!

Chris

• 12. Re: Crossed-out pencil icon above all text frames

try exporting to .idml and opening that. It may strip out missing plugin info. Are you getting any messages about missing plugins when you open the file? I would kind of expect that if there was a third party management sytem in use.

• 13. Re: Crossed-out pencil icon above all text frames
                                  Mary Posner Level 3

This may be a dumb question, but did you re-start InDesign after installing the plug-in? And are you looking under the InDesign menu or the Layout menu? I think it'd be under the latter, but I'm not near a computer where I can test that.

In any event, Peter's right, exporting to IDML should strip out the InCopy information. Give that a try.

• 14. Re: Crossed-out pencil icon above all text frames
                                    crisprice Level 1

Mary,

The golden words 'Activate Content' were indeed placed under the Layout menu - I couldn't see it for looking. I had restarted InDesign and could see the 'vjoon' under the About Plugins menu but expected to see it where they had indicated - as if it would be that simple!

Anyway, I selected Activate Content and without any fanfare - it did exactly that! All icons vanished and all systems are go.

Many thanks to you, and the rest of the community for the invaluable help in finding a way through this issue.

Regards

Chris

• 15. Re: Crossed-out pencil icon above all text frames
                                      crisprice Level 1

Hi Peter, problem solved via the vjoor plugin, but FYI, there were no missing plugin alerts or any alert to indicate there was something missing or not quite right.

This InCopy workflow sounds fantastic and is clearly being used well in big organisations, but Adobe need to address these basic issues to prevent asssociated businesses like mine suffering many frustrating hours of downtime while trying to upick what was essentially a very basic problem. Rant over.

Many thanks for your help.

Chris

• 16. Re: Crossed-out pencil icon above all text frames

crisprice wrote:

Adobe need to address these basic issues to prevent asssociated businesses like mine suffering many frustrating hours of downtime while trying to upick what was essentially a very basic problem.

This isn't Adobe's problem, it's bad programming on the part of a third-party vendor, and out of Adobe's control unless they stop allowing third parties to extend functionality of the program altogether.

In my opinion, and that of many plugin vendors, no add-on plugin should prevent anyone without the plugin from having full functionality inside a document that was created on a system where the plugin was installed. If you have to viloate that principle, then you need to provide a warning mechanism for users who don't have your plugin installed, and probably should provide a way to convertt eh file for use without the plugin.