5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2011 6:54 AM by the_wine_snob

How do I make PIP zoom work to overlay another picture?

Chris@Badgers

I want to start with a map of a country, Then have a picture which starts full screen and then shrinks to end up in one corner of the map, and repeat that 4 times to get the map with 4 small pics, one  in each corner. I can do basic PIP and PIP zoom via preset, but I cannot see how to use the preset to overlay the map. Is this possible? Thanks Chris

• 1. Re: How do I make PIP zoom work to overlay another picture?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This is easily done by Keyframing the Fixed Effects>Motion>Scale and Motion>Position. I would not try to use any PiP (Picture in Picture) Presets.

For doing such PiP work, I like to create Alignment Guides, to help me get both the Scale and the Position correct. Just remove those Guides, before Export, or they will appear. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How do I make PIP zoom work to overlay another picture?
            Chris@Badgers Level 1

Bill Thanks for that. This is a new area for me, which is good to try; I have now read up and and am ready to use. Do I have the background pic on one video track and the pic I want to bring in as reducing in size overlay as another, adjusting opacity to achieve the effect I want? Then  add the other pics to this until I have the final effect? I will spend sometime time looking at the alignement article soon, but as its only a home holiday video I think just doing it by eye may be ok. Thanks again. Really enjoying using the combined products after a few years getting the hang of it. But I stiil am looking for a really good reference manual for Pre, as I am sure the product can do lots more than I am aware of. I still like books! Chris

• 3. Re: How do I make PIP zoom work to overlay another picture?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For PiP (so many variations and possibilities, and especially with the Fixed Effects, or added Effects), one would basically place the "background" image onto Video Track 1 (note: the actual Video Track is not THAT important, but the arrangement of the Clips on "higher" Tracks is), and then the PiP footage, or Image, on Video Track 2 (or just a higher Track).

As material on a higher Video Track will cover up material on the lower Video Track, one must find a way to look "through," or look "around" that upper Track material. In your example, Keyframing the Fixed Effect>Opacity is one way. This would be a look "through." One could also do the look "around," by using Motion>Scale, where the PiP footage on the higher Video Track would start out, say with a Scale of 0, and then "grow." This could well be combined with say a Blur, and possibly Motion>Position too. Adding Opacity to the upper Track's footage could complete the design.

Using Keyframed Effects is a wonderful solution, and is so useful for most any Effect. The initial concept of Keyframing seems a bit abstract, at first blush, but once that concept has been mastered, it is just a process of using one's imagination and the pure mechanics (applying the Keyframes over time) every time.

Here is a look at a Timeline with a PiP:

PiP_Example_01.jpg

Actually, that screen-cap (PrE 4) shows several PiP treatments, such as a Title (basically a PiP mechanically), a Shape (also a Title with Opacity adjusted) and then a more traditional PiP of the young lady. Some of those were animated with Keyframes, where some were static with no real animation, other than a Cross-Dissolve to "fade" them in.

Steve Grisetti, our tireless MOD here, has also written a set of articles on Basic Keyframing, on Muvipix. This set of articles is excellent for mastering the concept, plus learning the mechanics. Not sure that I have seen a better tutorial on Keyframing, and especially in PrE.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How do I make PIP zoom work to overlay another picture?
                Chris@Badgers Level 1

Bill Thanks very much for all of that. Did two sequences of exactly what I wanted. It's not too hard once you get the hang of it! Its just about knowing how to do it and where to look. Chris

• 5. Re: How do I make PIP zoom work to overlay another picture?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Chris,

It's not too hard once you get the hang of it! Its just about knowing how to do it and where to look.

I agree completely. The concept of Keyframes, and then, as you say, where to look, Keyframing is easy, and so very powerful. Almost all Effects can be Keyframed, and not just the Fixed Effects, Motion, Opacity, Rotation, and Volume, if there is Audio. I seldom use any Presets for animation, whether in Titles, or Effects. I even use Keyframing for some "custom" Transitions.

Glad that it worked for you.

Good luck,

Hunt