5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2011 8:20 PM by Colin Brougham

Cannot map up/down keys for sequence zoom in premiere pro CS 5.5 (Mac)

anw1985 Level 1

Hi all,

Since year and day I use in Premiere Pro my own custom keyboard settings, a slightly modified Avid layout. I always kept and saved the .kys file. It's dated all the way back from CS3 and I used it (within WIndows) up to CS 5.

Now I have a Mac with CS 5.5, but a few things annoy me:

- If I want to import my .kys file, where to place it? For CS5 in Windows 7, Its \users\somename\appdata\roaming\adobe\premiere pro\5.0 . I have no clue for a similar location on my Mac.

- More importantly, I cannot create a good working preset based based on Avid. As I map the keys for zooming in the sequence (up and down), it doesn't work and only jumps around to the next and previous screen in my sequence instead of zooming! ANY other key combo works, including FN+Arrow, except for the arrow keys! Thid did not occur on CS5 on my windows machine.

Thank you and best regards.

• 1. Re: Cannot map up/down keys for sequence zoom in premiere pro CS 5.5 (Mac)
          Colin Brougham Level 6

If I want to import my .kys file, where to place it? For CS5 in Windows 7, Its \users\somename\appdata\roaming\adobe\premiere pro\5.0 . I have no clue for a similar location on my Mac.

I'm not a Mac user, so I can't confirm, but based on other user reports, it's somewhere like User\Application Support\Adobe\Premiere Pro\version number. Alternatively, just search for ".kys" and that should get you there.

EDIT: I'm not sure how well this will work, if at all. You can usually move the keyboard shortcuts forward a version on a specific platform (as you've already done), but I don't know if this will work going cross-platform. I suspect that some key mappings are different, so you may only get a partial transfer if anything at all. You might end up having to rebuild from scratch.

More importantly, I cannot create a good working preset based based on Avid. As I map the keys for zooming in the sequence (up and down), it doesn't work and only jumps around to the next and previous screen in my sequence instead of zooming!

Which shortcuts/commands are you mapping, e.g. Application > Sequence > Zoom In? What panel is active/in focus when you try to use the shortcut keys?

• 2. Re: Cannot map up/down keys for sequence zoom in premiere pro CS 5.5 (Mac)
            anw1985 Level 1

Thank you for your answer. First point, I already tried searching for .kys files but nothing showed up on my Mac. I know for my previous CS5 installation on a PC it was a piece of cake finding it. Cant find any .kys file on the Mac, even if I save it with a preset with a name that is completely unique on my computer.

Second point: I went to Keyboard Shortcuts, and then Sequence > Zoom In , Zoom Out. I mapped the keys Up and Down to them. If I select my current sequence I'm working in, and try to zoom in with the freshly mapped keys, nothing happens but again it skips to a later point in the timeline.

Originally the arrow keys are used for 'Next/Previous Screen' in the Avid preset I modified, but I cant find that setting nowhere in my Keyboard Shortcuts dialog.

But still, zooming in with the arrow keys doesn't work, even if I preset the arrow keys to that action, zooming doesn't happen.

• 3. Re: Cannot map up/down keys for sequence zoom in premiere pro CS 5.5 (Mac)
              Colin Brougham Level 6
              Cant find any .kys file on the Mac

Did you check the path I posted above?

User\Application Support\Adobe\Premiere Pro

It's possible that the Mac version doesn't use file extensions for these files--that's a common Mac trick.

I went to Keyboard Shortcuts, and then Sequence > Zoom In , Zoom Out. I mapped the keys Up and Down to them. If I select my current sequence I'm working in, and try to zoom in with the freshly mapped keys, nothing happens but again it skips to a later point in the timeline.

Yep; I can replicate this behavior on a PC, but...

Originally the arrow keys are used for 'Next/Previous Screen' in the Avid preset I modified, but I cant find that setting nowhere in my Keyboard Shortcuts dialog.

That's precisely why. I'm not sure how Premiere Pro assigns priority to different commands, but clearly, if those commands are set, they override the desired behavior that you assigned above. The solution is simple: go to Panels > Timeline Panel (or just search for "screen") and clear the shortcuts for Show Next Screen and Show Previous Screen (or assign them to other keyboard shortcuts), like this:

prev-next-screen.png

Once you do that, the Up and Down keys as assigned in Application > Sequence > Zoom In/Out will operate as you like.

FWIW, I don't think this qualifies as a bug; it's simply a matter of something having to take precedence/priority over something else. Hope that works for you.

• 4. Re: Cannot map up/down keys for sequence zoom in premiere pro CS 5.5 (Mac)
                anw1985 Level 1

HERO!! that was a very helpful answer, I didn't look in the 'panel' settings though. Now the only thing left is re-map my favorite and common used keys which isn't that bad. Now to find the filename somewhere so that I can again save my preset.

• 5. Re: Cannot map up/down keys for sequence zoom in premiere pro CS 5.5 (Mac)
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Glad to help! The new search box in CS5.5's keyboard settings is a real lifesaver... when you know the name of the command you're looking for

Here's another way you might try searching: change a command/shortcut, save the preset file, and then search your computer for files that were updated recently. Theoretically, the keyboard shortcut file (.kys or whatever on Mac) should be near the top of the list.