1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 29, 2011 4:54 PM by George_Johnson

creating a score in a text field based on the selection in the list box

Curry Monsta

I am attempting to use the forms design in pdf for educational purposes.

I have layed out my form with a set of questions with each question having a listbox with possible answers that you can select from with a hidden text field next to the list box.

the intention is that the hidden text field will either hold the value 1 if the answer selected from the list box is correct or 0 if it is incorrect.

At the end I also have another text field which will return the overall score.

I am sure too most of you this will sound incredibly easy tosort out but I have no experience of javascript and I am sure that is whats needed to do this form the litlte bit of digigng and explring I have done.

Please help !

• 1. Re: creating a score in a text field based on the selection in the list box
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You may not need to use the hidden text fields and instead set up the final score field with a custom calculation script that checks each of the list boxes to see if a correct answer is given. If you set the export value of each correct answer for each list box to 1 (or "correct", or something else as long as they are all the same), and the export value of the incorrect answer to something else (choose unique values for each item in a particular list box), the script could get the value of each list box, see if it's equal to 1 (or whatever you've chosen to indicate a correct answer), and increment a counter. Then set the calculated value of the field to the sum. Here's some code that demonstrates the idea:

// Custom Calculate script for text field
          (function () {

// Declare variables, initialize counter
              var i, v, sum = 0;

// Loop through the list boxes and keep track of correct answers
              for (i = 1; i < 11; i++) {

// Get the list box value
                  v = getField("List" + i).value;

// Increment the counter if correct
                  if (v == 1) sum += 1;
              }

// Set this field value to the number of correct answers
              event.value = sum;

})();

This code assumes 10 list boxes named "List1", "List2", ..."List10", so you have to alter to suit your setup.