7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2011 7:20 PM by DrumatixSix

Audio (bass) changing in premier.

DrumatixSix

I am making a video, and when I import the .wav of the song to premier, the bass drums in the song are changing quite drastically.

Essentially the song has big 808 bass drums, that are quite big sounding. similar to a hip hop song. The mastered .wav file sounds fine on play back through audition, or other audio software.  When I bring it into Premier the sound changes, it becomes "tinny" and there is a high pitch layer over top that is not in the original.  I have tried multiple setting, some better then other but all have the poppy, tinny type sound to it.

Has anyone experienced this, and do you know a way to fix it?

Things I have tried so far that failed are:

1. lowering the volume of the .wav file.... the original is professionally mastered, I thought perhaps it was just too loud so I lowered the volume in premier to by adjusting the "audio gain"
      2. I tried many different set ups, when selecting a new project in premier.

The problem is evident in premier but becomes much worse when I upload it to youtube or vimeo, this leads me to believe it is some kind of issue with compression... I am not sure....

Any ideas would help, thank you.

• 1. Re: Audio (bass) changing in premier.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the specs. of those WAV files?

PrPro does not usually change the Audio, and that is why I am asking about the original files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Audio (bass) changing in premier.
            DrumatixSix Level 1

Hi.

It is a 16 bit 44.1 khz .wav.

I don't understand why it would change the sound either.  But there is a noticeable and annoying difference on playback and once exported from Premier, the song is basically ruined

The .wav by itself, through and audio player, sounds perfect on its own... Its just in premier that it sounds bad.  And again its just the low end of the bass drums that seems to be effected.

It should not be happening.  It doesn't make sense.

• 3. Re: Audio (bass) changing in premier.
              the_wine_snob Level 9

It should not be happening.  It doesn't make sense.

I agree.

Conforming from 44.1KHz 16-bit WAV to 48KHz 32-bit floating point should be pretty much seamless. Unfortunately, I do not have any useful thoughts on what might be going on here.

Just some random thoughts:

• What is the Master of your Sequence set to?
              • If 5.1 SS, what is the LFE setting in Audio Mixer for that Track/Clip?
              • Is this mono, or stereo Clip?
              • Do you have any Bass Management (usually via a VST) installed and used?
              • Have any Audio Effects been applied?

Sorry for having so very little to offer, and I hope that others will see what I am missing here.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Audio (bass) changing in premier.
                DrumatixSix Level 1

Thanx Bill,

To answer those questions.

* What is the Master of your Sequence set to? Not quite sure what you mean by this?
                * If 5.1 SS, what is the LFE setting in Audio Mixer for that Track/Clip? Not quite sure what you mean by this?
                * Is this mono, or stereo Clip? Stereo
                * Do you have any Bass Management (usually via a VST) installed and used? VSTS in Premeir? NO
                * Have any Audio Effects been applied? NO

Maybe that will help.

• 5. Re: Audio (bass) changing in premier.
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry that I was not clear.

When one sets up a Sequence in PrPro, they have choices as to what the Audio Master is. Normally, it will be stereo, but can be set to DD 5.1 SS. Now, if one wishes to Export to DD 5.1 SS, they will need the SurCode DD 5.1 SS plug-in, or similar. If the user has chosen a DD 5.1 SS Master, they can still edit in that, but without the SurCode Encoder, the Export will be stereo, regardless of whether the Sequence's Audio Master is set to DD 5.1 SS.

If one has setup the Sequence as DD 5.1 SS, they will have more editing capabilities in the Audio Mixer, such as adjustments for both the Center Channel mix and also the LFE mix. If the Audio Master is set to Stereo, then there will be fewer such adjustments in Audio Mixer.

Thank you for the other answers,  and we can rule out those possibilities.

Still trying to think of what would be causing the issue that you cite.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Audio (bass) changing in premier.
                    Dag Norum Level 2

"it becomes "tinny" and there is a high pitch layer over top"

That can be because of clipping. A low frequency sound that is clipped will generate third harmonics that will sound "tinny". It may be that many players will tolerate the level of the master, but it may be that Premiere has a "closer" limit when it conforms the audio. The conforming, if it looks at the audio as "above the legal limits", the conforming may look upon it as clipped and therefore generate third harmonics.

I would expand the audio part of the timeline as much as possible (height and width) and examine if it looks like clipping (ripple on the top of low frequency waves).

And if it looks like clipping, use an audio-app to correct the level before importing the .wav into Premiere.

Dag

• 7. Re: Audio (bass) changing in premier.
                      DrumatixSix Level 1

Inaudition the .wav says it is limited at about -0.1 db. so no it is not peaking...

I am actually going to reduce the volume by about .3 db and try it again.....  I tried lowering the volume in premier.  maybe if i lower it in audition then reimport it to premier it will help.