3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2012 7:53 AM by chirtle

Please help! Keep getting error message "an internal error occurred"

aa2011aa

Hello,

I'm trying to install Adobe Reader 10.1 on my macbook, but after (what looks like a successful download of Reader), when I try to open up a pdf I get the message "an internal error occurred." From here I am forced to click "OK" and then I just get a blank screen.

I've tried to unistall and reinstall all Adobe files several times, but always get the same error message.

Here's what I'm working with:

Mac OS X - Version 10.5.8

Intel Core 2 Duo

Safari - Version 5.0.6

I'm not super-tech savvy, I just need to download this program to be able to use an online training module for school.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Please help! Keep getting error message "an internal error occurred"
          hjalp

Hello,

I have had the same problem and ended up spending about 4 working hours resolving it, although I have a master degree in computer science.

The problem is caused by an incompatibility between Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0/7.0 and Adobe Acrobat Reader 10. It is very strange that this error was not discovered during Adobes in-house quality control. I expect such tests should have been performed prior to making new releases, in order to spare problems for users. Also, I would expect better error management in a software product of this calibre. If a missing file ends up causing a crash, one might wonder if there are also security critical flaws in the software related to e.g. parsing PDF documents.

Problem description:

After agreeing to the license Adobe Acrobat says "An internal error occurred" and crashes. No further information given.

The system log reads ([…].com.adobe.Reader[220]) Exited abnormally: Interrupt

Executing the binary directly from the terminal with -O flag gives no data on standard output. Other crash log reveals no interesting information.

Solution:

After some investigation, found crash is caused when /Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts/AdobeFnt06.lst is accessed.

Hence due to incompatibility between Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0/7.0 and Adobe Acrobat Reader 10.

The installer/uninstaller should probably have removed the file.

I could delete the above file since I no longer use v6.0/7.0, and the problem was then resolved.
          Prior to this I had also deleted some of the com.adobe.* preferences from
          /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences
          /Library/Preferences
          etc.
          although I am not sure if this was necessary.
          Hope this helps.
          /Martin

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Please help! Keep getting error message "an internal error occurred"
            aa2011aa Level 1

Thanks. This info helped.

I was finally able to download Reader and get it to open pdfs.

I went through and checked every folder on my computer for random Adobe files that were hiding and uninstalled all of them. I'd tried uninstalling Reader and reinstalling it several times yesterday, but I guess I must've been missing some stray files. After clearing out as much as I was able to find, I went back and tried the new download again. This time it worked, and I'm now able to use it to view pdfs.

I'm surprised that this glitch wasn't caught earlier before launching the latest version. Again, I'm not a computer person, but isn't it typical that installing a newer version of a program will simply overwrite an older version instead of having the old version cause a crash in the new?

• 3. Re: Please help! Keep getting error message "an internal error occurred"
              chirtle

Looks like these posts were from a ways back but if anyone stumbles on this issue again, just delete the ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe folder, reinstall Adobe Reader, and you're good to go. The issue appears to be due to some incorrect permissions on the Adobe folder. Deleting and letting the the folder get recreated seems the easiest workaround.