2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2011 1:20 PM by me, too

how to turn off "read in browser"

me, too

I found a discussion of how to turn off the "read PDF in browser" function for a Windows machine, but I'm on a Mac. I just installed Reader 10.1.0, and find that it now defaults to "read in browser" with no way to turn that off, at least that I can see. Is there a way, or do I have to purge my system of Reader and use Preview to read PDFs in the future?

• 1. Re: how to turn off "read in browser"
          me, too Level 1

AHA! I found it: one must delete the file "AdobePDFViewer.plugin" from the Internet Plugins folder in the hard drive level Library folder.

This will require an administrator username and password, but does the trick.

• 2. Re: how to turn off "read in browser"
            me, too Level 1

Ok, deleting that file kills the "read inside browser" function, but to my vast annoyance, Safari still insists on opening a tab in which to read the damn PDF, although all that is displayed now is a black dark gray page.

How the blazes do I KILL once and for all this silliness about sending a PDF to Reader in my browser? I do not EVER want to read a PDF in my browser, I ONLY want to download 'em to disk.

Help! Anyone?