9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2011 7:39 AM by GlennM_

Rendered Video Not Playing Real Time

GlennM_ Level 1

I'm brand new to After Effects (CS5.5) and the first project for me is taking some very shaky handheld footage and trying to stabilize with Warp Stabilizer.

I've tried a few variations and when I render them to check my results (in MP4), they're not playing real time.

What am I missing in getting my rendered video to be real time?

• 1. Re: Rendered Video Not Playing Real Time
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What do you mean? Is the video playing slowly? Is it dropping frames (stuttering)?

• 2. Re: Rendered Video Not Playing Real Time
            GlennM_ Level 1

It's playing too slowly. It doesn't seem to be dropping frames.

The source video is virtually unusable (handheld Flipcam), very shaky. This is my first foray into After Effects and thought I could use Warp Stabilizer as a quick fix but not sure which settings I should be applying and am trying through trial and error.

• 3. Re: Rendered Video Not Playing Real Time
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

First, if you're new to After Effects, I very strongly recommend that you work your way through the basic learning materials first. After Effects is not a program that you can successfully use through trial and error. If you don't work your way through the learning materials first, you will be frustrated.

Is the composition playing at normal speed when you preview it using RAM preview in After Effects?

Tell us about the source footage, its frame rate, the footage itnerpretation settings, the frame rate of the composition, and the frame rate that you set for output. See this page (and this video tutorial) for information about frame rate.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Rendered Video Not Playing Real Time
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If your rendered footage is a different frame rate than the original then you've fouled up something when you created the composition or set up the render.

If you drag your footage into the new composition icon at the bottom of the Project Panel or if you have no compositions open in AE and drag the footage into the Timeline or Composition panel you'll create a new composition the same length, frame size, and frame rate as the original. Once the effects are applied you can drag this composition into the render cue or use the make movie command, or use the add composition to the render cue from the Composition menu.

Once there, you set the output module to the desired output. Unless you know what you're doing you should pick one of the default modules. To learn what you're doing read the getting started documents. Fouling up input and output by mucking around with the settings is a common mistake.

The other thing that can cause playback problems is to render to an uncompressed or lossless codec. Uncompressed codecs are not designed for playback but for archiving or for further production without introduction of motion or pixel artifacts. This is also a common mistake. The default render settings are for uncompressed.

The third most commin error is to use the Export setting from the File Menu. Except for exporting to flash this is never the best option.

Lastly, when you have problems like this please be sure and include the complete project details. The only think I know is that you're using footage from a FlipCam and that you're using CS5.5. I don't know what frame size or frame rate the footage is (you can see that in the Project panel) or what OS you're using, or what your render settings are.

• 5. Re: Rendered Video Not Playing Real Time
                  GlennM_ Level 1

I think I'm going to have to punt here and go back to the drawing board.

I've watched a couple of the introductory videos on Adobe TV, but as you say, without the fundamentals it will be frustrating and I think this is where I need to focus.

You're asking questions I can't answer which says that I don't have enough of the basics down to proceed with this one project. Maybe I was asking for too much right off the bat, but I do have a Plan B to get this project done.

Thanks for the pointers in the right direction. I'll put my nose to the grindstone, get the basics down, and then see where I am.

Thanks.

• 6. Re: Rendered Video Not Playing Real Time
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Good luck. We'll be here when you have specific questions along the way.

• 7. Re: Rendered Video Not Playing Real Time
                      GlennM_ Level 1

Thanks Todd.

Since you were so helpful in pointing me to basic learning materials for After Effects, can you point me to a similar resource for Premiere Pro?

Thanks.

• 8. Re: Rendered Video Not Playing Real Time
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I've collected good resources for learning Premiere Pro here.

• 9. Re: Rendered Video Not Playing Real Time
                          GlennM_ Level 1

Excellent! Thanks Todd!