15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2011 2:27 AM by mennoooo

When I import pictures I get the error code 'sizes too big'

mennoooo

Hi everybody,

I´m making a holiday-movie and the intro is a master-piece (in my opinion)

When I want to start with the real holiday-pictures and insert them in Premiere elements i'll get a error message. The english translation

"Error when importing media

Errorcode-

Video-sizes of the file (width/height) are too big. " (see image below)

error.jpg

I really want to make this movie, so please help me!

I tried to resize the pictures with 'faststone photo-resizer', and take the 1920-1080 size settings. Then I'm able to import the pictures, but the quality on my full-HD screen is hopeless. I've bought a Canon 600D/RebelT3i camera, so i'll want to show my pictures in the best-possible size

In one sentence: How do i'll import my Canon SLR pictures without losing quality

I'll hope you guys can help me soon!

Greetz,

Menno

• 1. Re: When I import pictures I get the error code 'sizes too big'
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Scaling the still images to match your Project's Frame Size, prior to Import, is by far the best way to handle things. For that Scaling, I use Photoshop,and do a Batch Scale with an Action, to get the pixel x pixel dimensions that I need. I always Save_As PSD's, as doing a Save_As JPEG will always introduce some degree of compression. I try to never use JPEG, and especially if the Images were captured with JPEG compression to begin with. Each level of compression will degrade the Image to some degree.

This ARTICLE goes into much more detail. Note: it was written when all Projects were SD (Standard Definition) and were limited by the DVD-specs. to 720 x 480, or 720 x 576. The Frame Sizes have now gone up with HD (High Definition), and discussion on those appears down the thread. For your Project, just think of 1920 x 1080, where you read about 720 x 480 (the older SD Frame Size).

The article also covers some changes in PrPro, as of CS 5, but those do not apply in PrE, at least not yet.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 2. Re: When I import pictures I get the error code 'sizes too big'
            mennoooo Level 1

The only problem is that i have 400 pictures to put in this movie, it would take days to use Photoshop

Are there any other possibilities?

greets, Menno

• 3. Re: When I import pictures I get the error code 'sizes too big'
              the_wine_snob Level 9

As both Photoshop and Photoshop Elements allow for automation, it takes me but moments to do a Batch Scale for a folder with 500 Images.

I do not know about other Image editors, such as IrfanView (freeware and quite good), or GIMP (also freeware, and highly recommended by many). They may, or may not have Batch Scaling.

Whichever utility/Image-editor that Iused, I would shy away from doing a Save_As JPEG, and especially if the Images were already compressed as JPEG's upon capture. If PSD (native file format of Photoshop) is not an option, then I would go with TIFF Uncompressed.

I also will Scale to exactly what I need, so that the NLE (Non Linear Editor) does not have to do any Scaling. The Scaling algorithms in, say Photoshop, are much better at this, than PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: When I import pictures I get the error code 'sizes too big'
                mennoooo Level 1

what do you mean with the batch scale? My english is'nt very good, so I don't understand it very good

And yes, I use IrfanView a lot, but not with the resizing.

It's my first time using premiere elements, so I don't understand everything the first time (as logic)

Could you write down step-by-step how I can import my pictures into the movie (with the best-possible quality?)

the specs of my pictures:

shot with the newest Canon DSLR

size of all pictures:5184x3456

JPG file

Thank you a lot!

• 5. Re: When I import pictures I get the error code 'sizes too big'
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, when one does a "Batch" operation, like Scaling in Photoshop, they first record an Action (sort of like simple scripting), that would first Open the Image, and then change the Scale, as is needed, then Save_As, say a PSD and then Close that Image. When this Action has been recorded, in Photoshop (or PSE and possibly other Image-editing programs), in PS, one would go to File>Automate to Batch. There, they would set the Source Folder (where your Image files are stored), the Destination Folder (where the Scaled Images will go - do not EVER overwrite your original camera files), and then the Scaling Action to use. When those things have been set, one just hits OK, and the Action will do the Scale to all Images in that Source Folder, and Save the results in the Destination Folder. Depending on the number of files, their initial size and the computer, this will all happen quickly, and automatically - thus processing a "batch" of files. I can Scale 500 4000 x 3000 Image files in but a few moments - less time that to get a cup of coffee.

Now, the capabilities of other programs to do Batch Scaling is unknown to me. I use Photoshop exclusively. PSElements can do this, as well, and Neale, a frequent contributor here, provided the steps for doing this in the Elements version of Photoshop. I just had zero experience with PSE, so greatly appreciated Neale's efforts and contributions.

Whether, and how, the other programs would do this would require some investigation. Maybe others can offer suggestions on programs, other than Photoshop and the Elements version of Photoshop, that work well, and offer automatic, batch processing.

Wish that I knew more about the other progrms, but the ones that I have, seldom see any real use, because Photoshop does what I need so very well.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: When I import pictures I get the error code 'sizes too big'
                    mennoooo Level 1

thx for your excellent explanation!

How do i set a Batch operation in Ps? Then I'm able to finish my holiday movie

Menno

• 7. Re: When I import pictures I get the error code 'sizes too big'
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

In Photoshop, you just create that Action, per the steps above, with the pixel x pixel size needed, say 1920 x 1080, and then just go to File>Automate to Batch (the exact words might be slightly different, depending on the version of Photoshop), fill in the details (Source Folder, Destination Folder and which Action to use) and you are ready to do the Scaling for all files in the Source Folder automatically.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: When I import pictures I get the error code 'sizes too big'
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a look at File>Automate>Batch, plus the Automate to Batch dialog box in PS CS 2. My Scaling Action is Action 1:

Automate_to_Batch.png

Hope that helps.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: When I import pictures I get the error code 'sizes too big'
                          mennoooo Level 1

error2.jpg

which of that actions should I use?

and when i use 'image -> image size -> pixel dimensions 1920x1080 the quality gets down

• 10. Re: When I import pictures I get the error code 'sizes too big'
                            mennoooo Level 1

it says the command feather is'nt available at the moment... What am I doing wrong?

• 11. Re: When I import pictures I get the error code 'sizes too big'
                              mennoooo Level 1

but how do i record that batch?

• 12. Re: When I import pictures I get the error code 'sizes too big'
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, you have not yet recorded you Scaling Action.

In PS, you would go to the Actions Palette and from the little flyout, choose New Action. You can then name it, and also locate it in the Action Set that you choose. This will then start the Action "recorder." Open one of your larger Images, go to Image>Image Size, and change that, as is required. There you can set the parameters, and also choose the Scaling algorithm with Resample and Constrain Proportions. Here, I would alter the Resolution to 72 PPI, though PPI/DPI are meaningless in video. This just makes changing the pixel x pixel dimensions easier to manage. For the Scaling algorithm, there are several choices. I usually use either Bicubic Smoother, or Bicubic Sharper. The exact Image might dictate which yields the best result. In general, and with the majority of my Images, Bicubic Smoother is the better. Hit OK. Choose Save and then PSD, or TIFF (no LZW compression). Hit Ctrl+W to Close, and then Stop recording the Action. Now, you have your Scaling Action.

If you go to File>Automate>Batch, this new Action will appear by default. If you later record more Actions, you will just need to choose your Scaling Action in that drop-down list. In that dialog screen that you showed, just choose the Source Folder w/ your camera originals, and then the Destination Folder, where you want the Scaled Images to be places with Save. When you hit OK, PS will automatically process all Image files in the Source Folder with your Scaling Action, and you are done. There is no need to change the File Names, unless you require new names, such as for a Numbered Sequence.

You are almost there, and all you need to do is record your Scaling Action.

Good luck and thanks for that screen-cap, as it told me a lot.

Hunt

• 13. Re: When I import pictures I get the error code 'sizes too big'
                                  mennoooo Level 1

thanks a lot, I now have my own action (see picture below)

the strangest of this: when i start the batch (with the right in- and outputfolder) it comes with a JPEG options box, which quality i prefer.

Strangily: in the action i wrote down to save as Photoshop?

What's the problem this time>?

Kindly regards,

Menno

error3.jpgerror4.jpg

• 14. Re: When I import pictures I get the error code 'sizes too big'
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

When recording your Action, and you get to the Save_As part, JPEG will be the default, if you Image is JPEG, but you have a drop-down, where you could choose Photoshop PSD, or any of many other formats. Since it will then be recorded in your Action, the choice that you make at that point, will be the one used for the Batch operation.

Even JPEG @ a PS level of 12 does introduce another JPEG compression, albeit a small one. Test the quality of the Scaling operation with one version at JPEG - 12, and another at PSD. Look at each output file carefully. If you cannot tell the difference, or if they are so close that you do not mind JPEG - 12, you can certainly use that. JPEG - 12 may well be adequate, but only you can make that call.

Good luck, and thanks for sticking with this - you are almost THERE!

Hunt

PS - you have done well in the JPEG selection, by choosing Baseline Standard. Do not deviate from that, for any Still Image going to Video. Video editors can not use Progressive. That setting is for the Web ONLY. Just a little tip and caveat, and you got it right.

• 15. Re: When I import pictures I get the error code 'sizes too big'
                                      mennoooo Level 1

Hi,

as you can see in the attached picture, I set the format into PSD... I'll get a screen-capture movie, and maybe you'll find the error....