7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2011 11:05 AM by Bob Dix Photographer

Problems importing Hi8 to a PC for editing / archiving

davihort

Hey Video Experts,

I'm trying to import Hi8 video from my cam-corder through a PCI-E TV Tuner card (s-video) installed in my PC.

In PElements, I'm importing the video by "getting media," using the "Webcam or WDM device" option.    The video does import, but very poor quality, excessive artifacts, packet loss, start/stop, little or now audio... something is obviously wrong.

From several other forums I've seen, it may be that the TV Tuner card is sufficient to digitize the video - this was the intent of including the card in my PC. 

So, my questions are:

1.   Is there a way to use the TV Tuner card and achieve satisfactory results?

2.  Or, do I need some other way to do the conversion from analog to digital.

Footnote.... I purchased Pinnacle Studio several years ago.  Using the same set up (PC with TV Tuner card), I got very good results with this.  However, the SW went out of date and upgrades were not supported and the SW would no longer load and fuction in it's original state.   This set-up seemed to work before; maybe not with this SW....

• 1. Re: Problems importing Hi8 to a PC for editing / archiving
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I doubt that you will ever get good results with the S-Video and the TV tuner card with PrE.

I assume that the Hi8 is analog, and not the digital 8mm tape. Is that correct?

If so, one option would be to pick up a used digital 8 camera, even if the sensors are bad. That camera should be able to play and digitize the Hi8 tapes for Capture via a FireWire connection.

Another option would be to use an A-D bridge, like the Canopus/Grass Valley 110. This ARTICLE will go into more detail.

You might want to also post to the Muvipix Community/Forums, as I believe that several users there have been working with analog material from Hi8 cameras, and might have some useful info specific to your setup.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problems importing Hi8 to a PC for editing / archiving
            davihort Level 1

Sounds like sound advice...   bummer I spent $100 bucks on the TV card...  shoulda checked with you guys first.  :-)

Thanks Bill!

• 3. Re: Problems importing Hi8 to a PC for editing / archiving
              the_wine_snob Level 9

It seems that TV Tuner cards do one thing well - allow one to view TV on the computer. I have read of many users, who have fought using them for other purposes.

It puzzles me, how Pinnacle Studio was able to do a better job. Way back when, I used Studio (about 5 through 10), but for editing miniDV tape material, that I Captured over FW. By Studio 10, I had just flat had enough (only stable version for me was 9.4.3), and moved to AVID Liquid, and then very quickly to Adobe Premiere Pro, which was all that I could have asked for. I never looked back. Still, many use older Pinnacle products, and get good results. I just could only get one version to run, and run well, even with very simple material. Even with PrPro and PrE installed, I also have a few other NLE programs, just because some do certain things better than others.

Good luck, and wish that I knew Hi8 better, than I do.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Problems importing Hi8 to a PC for editing / archiving
                Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

Well , Bill is right, I use a IEEE 1394A Firewire card. it has been very successful in capturing over 100 Hi 8 Tapes from a Canon EXi Hi-8 into Premiere Pro.

• 5. Re: Problems importing Hi8 to a PC for editing / archiving
                  Kent-MN Level 1

Hi, Bob -

I have an old Sony camcorder (CCD-TRV65) that I have many Hi8 videotapes that I would like to transfer to my computer for editing and ultimately onto DVD.  I don't think, but maybe there is, a firewire connector that could connect my camcorder to my computer.  It only has the red, white and yellow ports or an S video port for output.  I've seen something called a "Dazzle" that is made by a company called Pinnacle, which I take it is a competitor to Adobe.  I'm assuming that if I used that to transfer video it wouldn't be usable in Adobe Premiere Elements 9.

What's the best way to get these tapes onto my harddrive or DVD.  I have a lot of them.

Thanks!

• 6. Re: Problems importing Hi8 to a PC for editing / archiving
                    nealeh Level 5

It's better not to ask the same question in different discussions. It makes it hard for us to see the whole discussion in a single thread as you might get different answers in the different threads.

However here is a copy of the reply I made to your other thread:

Connect your camera through a FireWire connection. You can then use PRE9 to control and capture directly. If your camera doesn't have FireWire then using an Analog --> Digital bridge is your best option.

Here are links to the FAQ that go further into these options:

What tools can I use to convert my video to DV-AVI?

What is the best device for capturing analog video?

And from Tips & Tricks:

Analog Signal to Digital a Primer

The solution I use is Camera --> Canopus ADVC-300 --> WinDV. This creates the DV-AVI Type 2 video file that can be directly used in PRE with no further conversions needed.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Problems importing Hi8 to a PC for editing / archiving
                      Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

Hi Kent,

For what it is worth I used a Sony Digital 8 TRV Handycam 460E to transfer tapes shot on a Canon EX1 Hi 8  PAL, by just inserting the Hi8 Cassette into the 460E, connect to PC using Firewire . You may get one second hand. There is no loss of quality and it is very good S-VHS. It cost about $199 (new) reduced from $899. I think I used Premiere Pro 1.5.1 but, Premiere Elements 4 is good enough.

Message was edited by: Bob Dix Photographer

>http://www.sony.co.uk/product/sdh-digital-8/dcr-trv460e

This unit has an inbuilt analogue /Digital Hi8 , Digital8 converter built in.