5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2011 6:18 PM by Steve Grisetti

video blurry with motion when trying to create WMV video to share

cincinvideo

I have a Sony HDR-cx350.  I am currently using PE 9.    In the past using my standard def camcorder and PE 7.0 when I wanted to share a video for online I would usually select "share - windows media" and use the LAN preset to create a WMV file that I would upload to photoshop.com and share with friends.    Now with new camcorder and PE 9.0 using these setting any motion in the video become blurry/jagged.    The only way to improve on this is to go into the advanced settings and increase the average video bitrate setting which make the file get large fast.  I dot believe I am using the best project presets to use because PE changes it for me.  But based on MEDIA info below maybe you can tell me what the best project presets would be.    Please HELP  my son's football season is starting soon and the coaches depend on me to shoot game film to share with the coaches.  TIA  FILE INFO using MEDIA INFO PROGRAM  CompleteName                     :es\DCL video 2011\20110615103137.m2ts Format                           : BDAV Format/Info                      : Blu-ray Video FileSize/String                  : 71.7 MiB Duration/String                  : 53s 14ms OverallBitRate/String            : 11.3 Mbps OverallBitRate_Maximum/String    : 18.0 Mbps  Video ID/String                        : 4113 (0x1011) MenuID/String                    : 1 (0x1) Format                           : AVC Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec Format_Profile                   : High@L4.0 Format_Settings_CABAC/String     : Yes Format_Settings_RefFrames/String : 2 frames Format_Settings_GOP              : M=1, N=30 CodecID                          : 27 Duration/String                  : 52s 986ms BitRate_Mode/String              : Variable BitRate/String                   : 10.6 Mbps BitRate_Maximum/String           : 16.0 Mbps Width/String                     : 1 440 pixels Height/String                    : 1 080 pixels DisplayAspectRatio/String        : 16:9 FrameRate/String                 : 29.970 fps ColorSpace                       : YUV ChromaSubsampling                : 4:2:0 BitDepth/String                  : 8 bits ScanType/String                  : Interlaced ScanOrder/String                 : Top Field First Bits-(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.228 StreamSize/String                : 67.1 MiB (94%)  Audio ID/String                        : 4352 (0x1100) MenuID/String                    : 1 (0x1) Format                           : AC-3 Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3 Format_Settings_ModeExtension    : CM (complete main) CodecID                          : 129 Duration/String                  : 53s 56ms BitRate_Mode/String              : Constant BitRate/String                   : 256 Kbps Channel(s)/String                : 2 channels ChannelPositions                 : Front: L R SamplingRate/String              : 48.0 KHz BitDepth/String                  : 16 bits Compression_Mode/String          : Lossy Video_Delay/String               : -67ms StreamSize/String                : 1.62 MiB (2%)  Text ID/String                        : 4608 (0x1200) MenuID/String                    : 1 (0x1) Format                           : PGS CodecID                          : 144 Duration/String                  : 52s 487ms Video_Delay/String               : -67ms

• 1. Re: video blurry with motion when trying to create WMV video to share
          cincinvideo Level 1

file meda info had the proper format before I posted it. After posting its a mess.

• 2. Re: video blurry with motion when trying to create WMV video to share
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It sounds like you're using hi-def or AVCHD vide as your source. (I assume you've also set up your project to match this video source perfectly. If so, your clips will not have red lines above them until you add effects to them. Is that the case in your situation?)

In any event, the WMV (which is only a fraction of the resolution of hi-def) is certainly going to look fuzzier than the original.

If there's a lot of motion in your video, WMVs also tend to look messier. This is because motion doesn't compress well and WMVs are a highly compressed format.

• 3. Re: video blurry with motion when trying to create WMV video to share
              cincinvideo Level 1

Yes it is HD material and I was hoping to film son football games this year in HD.  Which will have LOTS of motion.  If WMV is not a good format becuase of the compression, what should I use be able to share video online using PE 9.0.  I know people post HD video online.

Thanks for quick answer previously

• 4. Re: video blurry with motion when trying to create WMV video to share
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I feel your pain. The Adobe forum software does some odd "stuff" with formatting, and once that happens, there seems to be nothing to do about it. I have been caught in that "trick bag," more times, than I can count.

As for Encoding to WMV, Adobe programs, are not known to do a good job of this, and that is both PrE and PrPro. For years, many users recommended Windows Media Encoder, which was free from MS, and to use that, one would Export/Share to an intermediate file, then use WME to do the WMV Encode. MS discontinued the old WME, but one user (Neale, IIRC) found a replacement. Unfortunately, I do not recall the name, but it was something like MicroSoft Media Encoder Live, or similar. That user tested the new, replacement utility, and thought that it also did a much better job, than PrE/PrPro.

Still, quality, and especially with motion (either subject, or camera) needs a good Bit-Rate to produce good results, however at the expense of large files. As all Encoders are not created equal, the best that one can do is to find one, that does a good job, and then experiment with the Bit-Rate to get highest quality at a manageable file size. This is the same "balancing act," that we all fight with.

Good luck, and maybe those, with better memories, can come up with the name of the MS WMV Encoder.

Hunt

• 5. Re: video blurry with motion when trying to create WMV video to share
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Meantime, here are some ideal specs for posting high-quality videoo online, from the FAQs to the right of this forum. Have you tried them yet?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/623549?tstart=0

Just remember, the higher the quality of your video and the higher resolution it is, the more likely you are to have broadband issues when your viewer streams it over the internet. So keep your highest quality videos brief!