5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2011 8:39 PM by FranklyJudy

Change playback speed of video clip in Premiere 9

FranklyJudy

I want to make a few clips in my video play faster. Can't find the option.

Also wanted to update to Premiere 9 Plus, and can't find that option on the website. Can only find options to purchase Premiere 9 and Elements 9 and I already own both of them.

• 1. Re: Change playback speed of video clip in Premiere 9
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There is no such thing as Premiere 9 Plus.

Are you talking about Photoshop.com Plus? You'll find those options on Photoshop.com and in your program's preferences.

To slow down or speed up a clip on your timeline, right-click on the clip and select Time Stretch. (There is also a tool on the timeline, but it works differently.)

If you're interested in step by step instructions for using all of the tools in the program (with lots of illustrations) you may want to check out one of my books, available on Amazon.com and at the Muvipix book store.

http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php

In the meantine, if you're looking for some basic instruction, you can try my free 8 part Basic Training tutorials on Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Change playback speed of video clip in Premiere 9
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

For minor corrections, or adjustment, the Time Stretch Tool will handle the Rate change.

For more majoy changes, Rt-click on the Clip in the Timeline and choose Time Stretch, which has a dialog box. There you can increase the Rate, or decrease it with negative numbers in the Speed box.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

[Oops, Steve was posting, while I was typing.]

• 3. Re: Change playback speed of video clip in Premiere 9
              FranklyJudy Level 1

Thank you, Steve for your information. I've looked at the Table of Contents in your book and I'm going to order it tonight. I did find the Time Stretch icon and was able to do what I wanted with the clip speed. My confusion on the Plus was because when I was trying to edit a Transition, I got the message it was only available in Plus and to go the Welcome screen in Elements or Premiere and Upgrade, but I didn't find that option. (Apparently I was on Photoshop.com at the time and didn't realize it.) My project is very basic. Previously I was working with Pinnacle Studio 12 and it kept crashing on me, so I moved over to Premiere 9.(I was very familiar with Studio and new to Premiere, and familiar is always easiest.) Just now I was attempting to insert a title in Premiere and it crashed also. I'm running XP SP3 w/4Gig of RAM and tons of HD space. I don't think the computer is at fault, so I'm not sure where to go with this. I should have the book in a couple of days so I may table the project temporarily. (I do have a deadline, however, so I'm getting nervous about it.)

• 4. Re: Change playback speed of video clip in Premiere 9
                FranklyJudy Level 1

I appreciate your response too, Bill. I was glad to hear from both of you tonight. It's difficult to spend time learning new software when there is a deadline to meet. I'm looking at the Time Stretch option both ways, to make sure I understand. Thank you.

• 5. Re: Change playback speed of video clip in Premiere 9
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree that a deadline can be a horrible "master," but also recommend Steve's books, plus his whttp://www.muvipix.comarticles.

Good luck, and hope that one of those two methods helps you here.

Hunt