2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2011 8:05 PM by MatthewMusic

.avi on Mac from Classroom in a Book DVD

MatthewMusic Level 1

I'm new to Premiere Pro and teaching myself. One book I'm using is the Adobe Classroom in a Book Premiere Pro CS5, which has a sticker on it stating that it has "Free CS5.5 bonus content."

I'm trying to import one of the lesson files that is an AVI file but PP gives me a File Import Failure for this one file (MPEGs imported with no problems) stating "Codec missing or unavailable."

I opened the file in MPEG Streamclip and exported it using "Apple Photo - JPEG" compression. It imports just fine now.

My question: Has this happened to anyone else? Is this a one-time fluke or can I expect that other files on the CIB DVD may also require conversion to work on Mac?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: .avi on Mac from Classroom in a Book DVD
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What file, exactly, is giving this problem?

I'll send a link to this thread to the folks responsible for the Classroom in a Book. The more information you give about what is causing the problem for you, the more likely they are to be able to fix it.

Tell us about your computer system, too. What operating system? Do you have QuickTime 7 installed?

• 2. Re: .avi on Mac from Classroom in a Book DVD
            MatthewMusic Level 1

Todd, thank you for the response. There were a few things going on, mainly about files that were not yet up at the Peachpit website specifically for the CS5.5 version of the book/files. In addition, there were some proofreading issues in the CS5.5 EPUB that is downloadable.

I received an email from someone at Peachpit who explained what was going on and pointed me to a link for downloading the updated files (4 or 5 GB of them). I've put them on my system, but haven't had a chance to use them yet.

So, with that background, I'll tell you about my system:

Mac Pro (MacPro3,1) with 2 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Xeon processors, 10 GB RAM, and an ATI Radeon HD 5770 supporting two 1920 x 1080 LCDs. I'm running OS X 10.6.8 and QuickTime 7.6.6 as well as QuickTime 10.0. Final Cut Studio 7 has been my editor of choice, but with the release of FCP X I decided to purchase the Master Collection CS5.5 and learn PP and AE. (I work at a University and got a discounted price for the MC so I decided to upgrade my Design Collection CS4.)

My apologies for WTMI (way TMI). Give me some time to get through the newly downloaded stuff from Peachpit. If I'm still having issues I'll post again. Thanks again for your offer to help.