4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2011 7:12 AM by the_wine_snob

Stills not clear?

tamzunc

I was working with stills tonight and the first two worked very well after adjusting time, opacity.  Then a bunch of them or various file sizes start ouot clear in the prview, but when  I run them in the time line they became coarse and fuzzy--as if I was mismatching DV with HDV.  Any thoughts?

Jim

• 1. Re: Stills not clear?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you ensured that your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels, per the FAQs to the right of this forum?

Also, after you've added the photos, have you rendered your timeline, by pressing Enter? As I say in my books, you should render your timeline whenever you see red lines above the clips on your timeline. When your timeline is rendered, the red lines turn green and you'll see a much higher quality preview of your finished video.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Stills not clear?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

First, a couple of questions:

What is the Project Preset, chosen when you do New Project?

What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of the Still Images? This ARTICLE will give you some background and tips on using Still Images in a video production.

What is the format of the Still Images?

For best quality playback, one will need to Render the Timeline first - the red lines above the Clips/Stills will turn green. Have you done this Rendering, by hitting Enter/Return? This ARTICLE will give you more background.

What is the Magnification of your Program Monitor? Rt-click in the Program Monitor. For critical viewing, I like 100% over Fit. To see the full Frame you will probably need to resize the Program Monitor's Panel.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Stills not clear?
              Ted Smith Level 3

I find it best to crop, convert and save all stills with Photoshop to exactly the same pixel size as my video project before importing them into PE.

EG for a DVD 720 x 576 PAL widescreen.   For a Blue Ray 1920x1080

Not having an exact multiple of the final pixel size invariably produces jagged curves because to reduce by an odd ratio means PE has to unevenly drop some pixels whereas Photoshop does some clever averaging to make it smooth.

Also a little extra picture sharpening effect on stills for original HD pics converted to DVD does wonders - even though the picture looks perfectly sharp in HD.

• 4. Re: Stills not clear?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ted,

For the majority of my Still Images (usually ~ 4000 x 3000 in Nikon RAW), I find that the choice of PS's Bicubic Shaper is about all that I need. However, with some Images, I will use Bicubic Smoother - it just depends on the Image, and how it is used.

I have not applied any additional Sharpening, but PS, as of about CS has a Smart Sharpen Filter, that works well, and is very adjustable to apply just a little correction. One little caveat with Sharpening (of any type) is to tread lightly, as flickering in high-contrast edges can happen. This is really noticable with Text, and even if one has not applied any Sharpening to it, if the edges flicker, then a touch of Vertical Blur will usually correct that issue. That is why many graphic artists, working with high-contrast Text (Titles, Menus, etc.) in video advocate a bit of Blur for better Text.

I completely agree with you that PS is so much better suited to do any Still Image editing, rather than push that job off to PrE, even if it has the general capabilities - they fall very far short of those capabilities in PS.

Thanks,

Hunt