8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2011 4:37 AM by John Hawkinson

InDesign CS5 crashes during Packaging

MangaGal Level 1

OK. I searched and some people experienced this issue (InDesign CS5 crashes during packaging). Some said it was because of corrupted fonts.

So I tried replacing Adobe OpenType fonts which I know won't have any issue (Optima). But, it still crashes. I'm really out of ideas.

It crashes everything when the status dialogue bar says "Saving Document..." and then it just freezes there for ages. Then InDesign CS5 became "Not Responding".

Someone please help. At the moment I've been manually packaging. Frustrating!

I'm on Snow Leopard, 2011 i7 MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM and CS5 Design Premium.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes during Packaging
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Are you fully patched to 7.0.4?

Bob

• 2. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes during Packaging
            John Hawkinson Level 5

What Bob said.

If you're running 7.0.4, then when it hangs, start up Actvity Monitor and go to View > Send Signal > Abort (SIGABRT). You should get a crash report out of InDesign. Upload it to pastebin.com (not here!) and post a link here. We'll look at it and tell you what InDesign was doing when it hung/crashed. But don't pos the entire crash report here, it makes the forum un-navigable.

• 3. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes during Packaging
              MangaGal Level 1

John Hawkinson wrote:

What Bob said.

If you're running 7.0.4, then when it hangs, start up Actvity Monitor and go to View > Send Signal > Abort (SIGABRT). You should get a crash report out of InDesign. Upload it to pastebin.com (not here!) and post a link here. We'll look at it and tell you what InDesign was doing when it hung/crashed. But don't pos the entire crash report here, it makes the forum un-navigable.

Yes, running 7.0.4. And thanks for the tip, I didn't know I can get the crash report from Activity Monitor. That's why I didn't put it here.

Here you go, got the report below. It's a very long report. I don't understand it. Any help from here?

===

Crash reported deleted by forum host

• 4. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes during Packaging
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Please do not post crash reports here. John specifically told you to post it on pastebin.com. Please do so.

Bob

• 5. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes during Packaging
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Please do post the link, as Bob suggests, so others can benefit.

Anyhow, your crash is in the the Cooltype manager inside the Font Manager.

This definitely does point to a font problem. Most likely a corrupt font, but possibly a corrupt SING issue (oh boy...).

Please try removing all non-system Fonts and restarting the computer, then trying the packaging again. Of course you will get warnings for your missing fonts, but consider it just a test. Assuming that works, then the problem is definitely a font and you can add them back in by halves until you find the problem one.

If not, try http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408816.html.

• 6. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes during Packaging
                    MangaGal Level 1

BobLevine wrote:

Please do not post crash reports here. John specifically told you to post it on pastebin.com. Please do so.

Bob

ok ok, don't get mad. i'm not used to doing this. first time i have problem packaging... and i'm pretty franticky cos i'm on a deadline...

ok, i've used pastebin.com and hopefully i've done it right... here's the link http://pastebin.com/ShFyyDDZ

did i do it right?

• 7. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes during Packaging
                      MangaGal Level 1

John Hawkinson wrote:

Please do post the link, as Bob suggests, so others can benefit.

This definitely does point to a font problem. Most likely a corrupt font, but possibly a corrupt SING issue (oh boy...).

What is SING issue?

John Hawkinson wrote:

Huh?
                      By the way, the file was herited from previous job... and I didn't do the previous job. So, I didn't set up the file. I'm just updating it.

John Hawkinson wrote:

(oh boy...).

OK, your (oh boy...) is freaking me out.

John Hawkinson wrote:

Please try removing all non-system Fonts and restarting the computer, then trying the packaging again.

I wanna do a restore system font. Do you think that would do?

John Hawkinson wrote:

If not, try http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408816.html.

Thanks for the link. Just realised it explained SING.

• 8. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes during Packaging
                        John Hawkinson Level 5

Hello, MangaGal1981.

You asked a bunch of questions, but it seems like you answered several of them along the way.

Yes, your posting a link to the crash log worked just fine.

I'm not sure why you're commenting on the inheriting of the job. I didn't say anything about who set up the job, or ascribe blame. When I said, "your crash is in the Cooltype manager inside the Font Manager" that was a description of what InDesign was doing during the crash. Your response to that is confusing.

I suggested you remove all non-system fonts and try again. I can't tell if you tried that. What happened? If you didn't try it, why not?

I wanna do a restore system font. Do you think that would do?

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. What is "a restore system font"?

But whatever it is, no, I don't think it is likely to help, but fundamentally this is a process with trial and error. We don't know exactly what's wrong, we have some ideas and hints. So you will have to experiment and try things. It's a bit silly to sit around wondering if things are going to work when you can just test them. Moving all your non-system fonts into a temporary folder should take just a minute or two, so just try it.

(If you already did and I misunderstood you, sorry. What happened? Same hang? Different one?)