Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The Chrome Issue

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2011 Aug 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use RH7.03.001 on an XP machine.

I have recently checked W3C and see that Chrome is getting on for about 30% share of the browser market and on the rise, whereas IE is on the decline. My directors are very keen to have our Help run on the 'most used' browsers, and until lately I have gotten away with testing our Help projects against IE and Firefox. But with Chrome's ascendancy, I need to ensure our Help now works in Chrome as well.

I have been reading the other posts on here, and on Peter's site about getting Webhelp to run in Chrome. I have made the changes to my whver.js file, and have used the 'local drive' workaround for testing locally.  All ok in local testing.

What I'm not clear on is what my users will see?  We send our Help out on CD alongwith the software it is built for. In a good proportion of the time, this is then installed on the client machine. When the user calls the Help, it is opened from C:/Program Files/etc...

Does this mean that Chrome users are getting a browser shell with the webhelp skin and nothing else? If so, I need to include a health warning on our installers! I know that Adobe are looking into this, and that RH8 and RH9 still don't fix the problem.  Is there anything else that I can do to ensure we reach the widest possible audience?

Thanks for any assist!

Ron

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 01, 2011 Aug 01, 2011

If the webhelp is installed in Program Files then it is being run locally.

For your users to view the help using Chrome, Snippet 130 indicates how Chrome will need to call the help. That is something only the user can do and it negates what Google see as a security risk. Until some solution is found, you are a bit stuck, like the rest of us. Webhelp is intended to be server based and it will run OK from there.

That would involve your developers changing all their help calls and assumes your users

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2011 Aug 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the webhelp is installed in Program Files then it is being run locally.

For your users to view the help using Chrome, Snippet 130 indicates how Chrome will need to call the help. That is something only the user can do and it negates what Google see as a security risk. Until some solution is found, you are a bit stuck, like the rest of us. Webhelp is intended to be server based and it will run OK from there.

That would involve your developers changing all their help calls and assumes your users have internet access. The alternative is some other help output. My inclination would be to wait for a while to see if some other solution is forthcoming.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp