2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2011 9:20 AM by lisharts84

InDesign CS3 crashing in Mac 10.6.8

lisharts84

As suggested by John Hawkinson in the InDesign CS3 crashes when printing in OSX Lion thread I've started a new discussion for this.

I'm running Snow Leopard - 10.6.8. I would like to upgrade to Lion but until I can confirm CS3 is all working I'd rather not. I bought CS3 initally when I was in a much better financial situation and currently I just can't afford the upgrade to CS5. So I need to make this work the best I can for the time being but since the last OS update I'm getting lots of problems.

The first problem is placing an image. I go to file, click place and as I'm navigating to an image and the application just closes. I get a "Problem Report for InDesign" dialog and the message "Indesign quit unexpectedly"

http://pastebin.com/sGnLp21B

The second problem is exporting to pdf. I click export, choose PDF and regardless of whatever settings I choose when I click export I get this crash report:

http://pastebin.com/vwBDfBaF

The file I'm working on was created prior to upgrading to 10.6.8 and allowed me to place images and export just fine. I wondered it if was a corrupted file but I have since started new ones with exactly the same results.

When I initally googled this problem I found someone with a similar kind of error and they suggested creating a new account worked for them and they were able to run CS3 as before. I tried that and it did indeed work. So I can run a copy of CS3 (not updated, installed as it was straight out of the box) fine on a second account but this one seems to crash on even the most minor of jobs.

I initally had some problems installing CS3 on my macbook pro (prior to this machine I'd had a mac pro running tiger without issue). I found the Adobe Updater would cause Illustrator to crash when opening after the updates had all been applied. I fixed this problem by doing a fresh install and updating each application manually by downloading the updates from the support site. Until now I had not had anymore issues.

If more information is needed please just let me know, I've not posted here before so it's quite possible I missed something.

• 1. Re: InDesign CS3 crashing in Mac 10.6.8
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Hi.

The first thing to notice is that you're not running the current version of CS3:

Version:         5.0.0.458 (5000)

The latest update to CS3 is 5.0.4, which I believe has fixes for a bunch of similar problems: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4029

. You should definitely install the update before we look too-too closely at the crashes.

Are you using Version Cue? The first crash report appears to be related to it.

The second one...I forgot how CS3 sometimes doesn't include symbol information in the crash report. It's a bit of a pain to figure it out, so I'll defer until we see if the update doesn't solve your problem. Though the Apple version of the crash report may have more information, if you get that or have access to it (it should be visible in Console.app in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter.

So I can run a copy of CS3 (not updated, installed as it was straight out of the box) fine on a second account but this one seems to crash on even the most minor of jobs.

I initally had some problems installing CS3 on my macbook pro (prior to this machine I'd had a mac pro running tiger without issue). I found the Adobe Updater would cause Illustrator to crash when opening after the updates had all been applied. I fixed this problem by doing a fresh install and updating each application manually by downloading the updates from the support site. Until now I had not had anymore issues.

I'm not quite sure I follow -- it sounds like you're aware there are updates, but you mention updating as it if is per-account. But it's not. When you update InDesign (or anything Adobe) on one account, the updates get applied across-the-board to the whole system.

What is different between user accounts is InDesign preferences, so if they have gotten corrupt, you can have problems. (There are other differences, too, of course...).

You should update InDesign to 5.0.4 and then trash your InDesign preferences (see the link in the Troubleshooting 101 box on the main forum page), and see if that helps.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS3 crashing in Mac 10.6.8
            lisharts84 Level 1

Just wanted to say thank you for the answer, I'm not at home right now but I'm going to try upgrading when I do and see if that irons out the problems. If not I'll be back with more to report. Thank you very much for taking the time to help out.

As for Version Cue to be honest it's something I ignore. So no I don't use it.

Ah then this is interesting. The reason I thought the version on my second account wasn't updated was it begins to download updates when I open inDesign, I'm going to check which version now. That seems odd though, wouldn't it have picked up those updates on my first account by now?