7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2011 9:39 AM by Angell EYE RSS

Can't open PNG files in Photoshop CS5...??

Angell EYE

I'm seeing lots of threads with this problem but none of them seem to have an answer.

For some reason right now when I try to open a PNG file in Photoshop it just crashes.  I end up with a neverending "hour glass".

I had all of my website project directories on a network share.  As I'm no longer sharing all of these files with an office of people I decided to move all of these project files back to my own local machine.  Ever since I've done that I can't open PNG files in Photoshop anymore.

Any information on what could have caused this, or more importantly, how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Can't open PNG files in Photoshop CS5...??
          Noel Carboni Community Member

I can certainly edit PNGs in general with Photoshop CS5...

Can you share a PNG file with which you are able to make this happen?  I for one would be happy to see if it crashes Photoshop here.  If not, that would isolate it to a problem with your system.

If large, and you don't have your own web server, use a service like YouSendIt.com to send it to yourself, then provide the URL here.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Can't open PNG files in Photoshop CS5...??
            Chris Cox Adobe Employee

Photoshop it just crashes.  I end up with a neverending "hour glass".

Did you get a crash dialog ("expected termination")?

If it just hung with an hour glass - then it didn't crash, it just hung/froze.

• 3. Re: Can't open PNG files in Photoshop CS5...??
              Angell EYE Community Member

I was able to edit PNG files just fine up until today, and the only thing I've done is move the files from the network share to my local hard drive.

Any PNG, large or small won't work right now.  All of the other threads I see where people are talking about this say it's happening with their GIF files, too.  I just tried one here and the same thing happened.  From within Photoshop I did File -> Open, browsed to my image directory and the moment I clicked on one of the GIF files it locked up.

So yeah, I'm certain it's isolated to my machine right now.  I just have no idea at all what could possibly be causing this.  The other threads are mentioning netework shares, too, but usually still trying to open over the network.  In my case it was working fine when I did it over the network, but now that I'm opening local files it's failing.

• 4. Re: Can't open PNG files in Photoshop CS5...??
                Chris Cox Adobe Employee

Can you open any other file types?  Or are all opened files causing a freeze?

If the latter, you can try changing your printer to a local device (instead of on the network).

It could also be that you're timing out looking for recently used files on the network (which is really a problem with the network driver code).  Disconnecting from the network server may help.

• 5. Re: Can't open PNG files in Photoshop CS5...??
                  Noel Carboni Community Member

What happens if you just leave it alone for a long time?  Does it finally open or does it hang forever?

-Noel

• 6. Re: Can't open PNG files in Photoshop CS5...??

I just opened up 32-bit Photoshop and that seems to be fine, so the problem is with my 64-bit only.

It's happening with PNG, GIF, and BMP.  JPG seems to be fine.

I'm going to disconnect the network and try again.  I'll update shortly.

• 7. Re: Can't open PNG files in Photoshop CS5...??

That seems to have done the trick!  I disconnected the Mapped network share that I used to work from and now Photoshop is opening my local files just fine.

Intersting issue there.  Thanks for the help!