3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2011 11:26 PM by Peter Grainge

Effects of Moving from RH7 to RH9?

JaredHess Level 1

Here's my specs:

* RH 7

* Word 2010

* Windows 7 64 bit.

I'm going to upgrade to RH 9 shortly. I have the RH 9 software but would like to understand what changes will be made to my projects before installing it. I seem to remember seeing something about RH 9 updating each and every .htm topic. Is this really the case? We use the open source Mercurial for our source control system, and I may not be able to easily sync large projects on our sever if this is the case.

Also, are there any gotchyas out there any of you have ran into that I should be aware of before updating our projects?

• 1. Re: Effects of Moving from RH7 to RH9?
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional

How have you got Word 2010 working with RoboHelp 7?

I am not a source control user but my understanding is that it has always been necessary to check out the whole project to upgrade from one version of RoboHelp to another.

Lists are the most common cause of problems. See the Using RoboHelp 8 and 9 pages on my site.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

• 2. Re: Effects of Moving from RH7 to RH9?
            JaredHess Level 1

Hi Peter. Thanks for answering.

To answer your question, I didn't really get Word 2010 working with RH7. This is one of the reasons I need to move up to RH9: we were required to upgrade to Office 2010, and now I can't easily distribute a printable output of my project. Luckily, I still have my old computer on my local network with Word 2003 and RH 7 still on it, so I'm able to pass projects to that, jump on that computer, and build to a printable layout. For now anyway.

I'll take a look at your site. In the meantime, can anyone confirm if all topics are touched/modified when a RH 7 project is opened inside of RH 9? This is the main thing I need to know before upgrading as we have a huge main project, and if this is indeed the case, then it may affect the way we go about pushing the changed files up to our Mercurial sever.

Thanks in advance.

• 3. Re: Effects of Moving from RH7 to RH9?
              Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional

All the source files will be changed and the default output will be XHTML so all the files will be changed. There is an option to convert the output to HTML provided you have used RoboHelp as the editor rather than some external editor. However, I suspect there will nonetheless be some changes.

I suggest you publish with your current version to a local drive, do the same with RoboHelp 9 trial version and use something like Beyond Compare to ascertain the extent of the changes.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge