23 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2014 7:47 AM by Diego F L

Removing subclip limits?

Neptunesalad1 Level 1

Is there a way to remove the limits on a subclip, so it can be expanded if needed?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Removing subclip limits?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Nope; that's why I think subclips are ridiculously broken in Premiere Pro, and summarily avoid them. You can convert a subclip to a master clip (right-click, Edit Subclip), but that removes your marks. I find it easier to dump all my clips in one sequence trim them and name the clip instances there, and then drag them into my working sequence.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Removing subclip limits?
            Neptunesalad1 Level 1

That's weak - As an almost-full convert from FCP (following the bed-crapping that was and is FCPX), tools used for logging are something I miss the most. In FCP, it was just a matter of using markers on a given clip, allowing the user to twirl the clip open and see all the markers. I've been trying to get behind PP's subclipping tool, which is a bit more work-intensive and less intuitive than the marker thing from FCP (which auto-subclips as you log, but always allows you to "remove subclip limits").

So is there a better way to log? Is that what you're describing?

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Removing subclip limits?
              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

If subclips are not functioning as you expect, please file a feature request: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

• 4. Re: Removing subclip limits?
                Neptunesalad1 Level 1

Done, thanks for pointing me toward that, Kevin. When is it expected that PP might come out with an update?

• 5. Re: Removing subclip limits?
                  tclark513 Level 3

Can't you create your subclips a little longer then you need so you have extra frames when needed?

• 6. Re: Removing subclip limits?
                    Neptunesalad1 Level 1

Yes, you COULD do that, but when logging a great deal of footage the last thing you want to do is continually scrub backwards every time you want to set an in point. Besides, you might want to go back further from that point when you get it into the edit.

Again, not to get all FCP about it, but in FCP 1-7 there's a command for "remove subclip limit" for just that occasion. As I'm slogging through miles of archival footage right now, I'd love to have that ability.

• 7. Re: Removing subclip limits?
                      Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Sorry, but I really can't mention specifics regarding release dates. Stay tuned, though. We're working on lots of cool stuff.

• 8. Re: Removing subclip limits?
                        Neptunesalad1 Level 1

I totally get it, and as an editor I feel about 95% comfortable in PP. Also things like the title tool and Dynamic Link are blowing me away - I've never used After Effects so much before. There are just little things that hang me up, and I almost always blame the fact that I'm just comfortable in other programs, learning the unique things which distinguish PP. I really hope it continues to catch on as a professional standard.

• 10. Re: Removing subclip limits?
                          BVX3001 Level 1

I don't see where you found the "end of 2011" for CS6 info, John T.  All signs, and Adobe's recent history always point to a major NAB unveiling in April with shipping dates soon to follow in the spring.

As for the subclips issue, I'm with Colin - I make a new sequence for the long clip(s), cut as desired, separate those new subclips onto the next video track from where I later copy & paste them into the main timeline. I usually don't bother renaming/exporting them.

• 11. Re: Removing subclip limits?
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

A nice/useful feature of Premiere Pro is that you can have multiple Timeline panels--not just multiple sequences open. In fact, I have a workspace called--rather unimaginatively--Two Timelines which stacks two Timeline panels vertically. One contains my "logging" sequence, the other contains my "working" sequence; you can simply drag "subclipped" segments from the logging sequence to the working sequence. Makes this workflow much better...

But, yeah--subclips in Premiere Pro SUCK. I don't often apply that word to PPro, but it is one area that Adobe completely pooched things.

PS: It's pretty ludicrous to expect CS6 before 2012; CS5.5 has only been out for about 3-4 months now.

• 12. Re: Removing subclip limits?
                              KGCW Level 1

This is more than one year old, CS6 has been out for five months, and something like remove subclips limits is still missing

If you used subclips and need to get rid of them for something like exporting an XML to some pice of software that does not understand subclips (Resolve for instance), you can open the XML in FCP7, select all your subclips in the sequence, use the remove subclip limits command under the modify menu, export the XML again from FCP7 and you're done. Not a pretty workflow but it works.

If you don't have FCP7 ... well, you can revert subclips back to full clips with the "edit subclip" command, but you have to do it manually for each individual subclip. In a huge project, that's a nightmare.

I'll try to avoid using subclips for now as I prefer not relying on the software I just switched from.

• 13. Re: Removing subclip limits?
                                Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

With the release of PremierePro CC, the option to edit beyond the subclip boundaries is now available. The operative option is labeled "Restrict trims to subclip boundaries." It lives in both the Make Subclip dialog and Edit Subclip dialog. When you create as subclip, deselect that option to allow editing to the full extent of the master clip. The setting is sticky in the Make Subclip dialog but not in Edit Subclip dialog. That means that whichever setting you used when you created Subclip_X will be remembered for when you go to create Subclip_Y, but if change this setting for X or Y through Edit Subclip, that will not affect the persisted state in the Make Subclip dialog.

In-house, we refer to the unrestricted (new) kind of subclip as "soft" and the old restricted type as "hard." Note that if a soft subclip is used in a sequence, the option to switch it to "hard" is disabled in the Edit Subclip dialog. This is to avoid the scenario where the edit points +/or In/Out are outside the Subclip Start/End points.

Along with this new feature comes the ability to display the Subclip Start/End/Duration as columns in the Project panel.

Enjoy!

• 14. Re: Removing subclip limits?
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Nice.  It got broke in CS2 and only took 8 years and 6 product cycles to correct, but...nice.

• 15. Re: Removing subclip limits?
                                    Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

Right back atcha, Jim ... nice.

• 16. Re: Removing subclip limits?
                                      Andrey Kazanchev Level 1

"Soft" subclips cannot be played or trimmed (marked) in Source Monitor, I need to add them to timeline. If I make "soft" clip "hard" (through Edit Subclip menu) I get black screen in Source Monitor, zero duration, but clip is playing for marked time. Is this a bug?

• 17. Re: Removing subclip limits?
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

They work fine here.  What sort of media are you using?

• 18. Re: Removing subclip limits?
                                          Andrey Kazanchev Level 1

It actually works in Windows 8 (CC) and Windows 7 (CS6), but doesn't work in Windows 7 (CC) for DSLR footage (H.264) or WAV, etc.

• 19. Re: Removing subclip limits?
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Are these Merged clips?  There are seme issues with those.

• 21. Re: Removing subclip limits?
                                              Diego F L Level 1

I see no one has addressed this for a while - heh.

I just ran into the same issue.

Before I get into it, I looked to restrict the subclip because I can't use "go-to-in" or "go-to-out" on an unrestricted clip if an in or out are not set. This might sound like a non-issue, but for most of these subclips, the plahead is at the end of the clip when I load it and if I want to go to the head of the subclip I actually have to click in the source monitor - not ideal.

Anyway...

When restricting a previously-unrestricted subclip, the clip went black but audio still played. When placing that newly-restricted sublicp into the timeline, the video was there. I had to save and re-start PPRO to get the video back.

• 22. Re: Removing subclip limits?
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8

the plahead is at the end of the clip when I load it and if I want to go to the head of the subclip I actually have to click in the source monitor

Huh?

• 23. Re: Removing subclip limits?
                                                  Diego F L Level 1

(Sorry for the late response - the notification got sent to my spam folder)

When I load subclips into my source monitor, the playhead is most often parked on the tail frame of the subclip. Generally, I use "go to in" (Shift-I) to move the playhead back to the head of the subclip so I can watch and listen. This command doesn't seem to work on "soft" subclips unless I actually have in "In" point placed; which means that if I want to go to the head of the subclip, I have to actually mouse over and click on the source monitor's timeline and move the playhead. If there is no "In" point, the "go to in" command has no effect (same with "go to out" for that matter).

.....(2 minutes later).....

So I figured there was probably another command I could use to end up with the same result - and sure enough, using "Home" and "End" on a soft subclip brought me to the heads and tails of that subclip. This works just like "go to in," so I guess I can't really complain - It's probably something I'll just add into my brainbank for how to work with clips in the Source monitor. Maybe I should have been using "Home" and "End" more often to begin with.

Thanks for taking the time to read and I hope that was a clear enough description.