6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2011 2:06 AM by tom1597530

Roto Brush cache problem

tom1597530

Hello... I have a problem with Roto Brush tool. When I'm working on a long video and start masking out with Roto Brush, after some time of masking, the green line, representing the cached mask disappears. When I click to the part, when it was... it starts making the masking once again... is there any possibility to fix it? Or maybe to cache few frames and then continue masking the others, so it won't just disappear? Thank you.

• 1. Re: Roto Brush cache problem
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Are you sure you're not accidentally deleting RB's master keyframes at some point or just not seeing things because you zoom out in time? Other than that there will siomply be physical limits of how many frames fit into memory. It's no different than with RAM previews. Aside from that I think you are misunderstanding how RB works. Whenever you click outside an analysis range. you create a new segment independent of the previous one and naturally this will cause a new analysis. The same happens when you click inside an existing range, but outside the analysis threshold (defaults to 20 frames). So for all intents and purposes, all of this is normal and there simply is no way to hold the analysis of an entire clip in memory. If you really want to retain all the parts, you must freeze the solution so the data is loaded from disk, but of course that is not particulalrly sensible while still working on the piece...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Roto Brush cache problem
            tom1597530 Level 1

Well, no... I'm not doing anything accidently... Let's say that I mark the area Roto Brush should mask out at second 0 and I then click on the second 3... the process starts and the green line is getting longer... but at 2 seconds and 18 frames the green line dissappears and starts to create a new one from the 2 sec and 18 frames and it continues, but before that time, it's no longer cached...

• 3. Re: Roto Brush cache problem
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

tom1597530 wrote:

... Let's say that I mark the area Roto Brush should mask out at second 0 and I then click on the second 3... the process starts and the green line is getting longer...

Rotobrush only works in a linear way. It will only cache so many frames and then you need to make adjustments and continue. If you go back it starts over. If you skip ahead it starts over. You must start on the first frame you want to roto, then patiently work through the entire clip, then freeze the cache. If that is not your workflow then the behavior you're seeing is normal.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Roto Brush cache problem
                tom1597530 Level 1

Yeah, so you mean, that I have to be making adjustments if I don't want to lose the green line? So if I will just click far away from that yellow square, I think it's called Span, it will dissappear after few seconds?

• 5. Re: Roto Brush cache problem
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Generally you don't need any additional brush strokes to get the analysis. You just have to be careful where you click and give the algorithm time to propagate. As I wrote, if you click outside the current span, it will start a new segment, but as long as you are inside, the effect will progressively analyse new frames. You can essentailly do that for the whole duration of the footage without ever going in with the brush again, the result may just not be as good as you want it. Therefore it helps a lot if you add a stroke every few frames to stabilze the analysis result.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Roto Brush cache problem
                    tom1597530 Level 1

Thank you