12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2011 12:19 PM by Steve Grisetti

Audio is not always working, please help

itpond2

Hello,

I have PE9.  I pull a video to the editing area and it will play the video for a few sec. and then I don't have audio.  It is a hit or miss if I am going to have audio to start with.  On the timeline it shows that I have audio with my video I just can't hear it.

I also have noticed that there is an event and it says "an unspecified error occurred while performing a conf...."  It will not let me click on details.  Any help with this would be fantastic.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Audio is not always working, please help
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like Conforming was interrupted in some way, and that will kill the Audio.

Take a look at this ARTICLE, and see if it is helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Audio is not always working, please help
            itpond2 Level 1

Thank you for your help, but this didn't solve the problem.  still no audio.

Terry

• 3. Re: Audio is not always working, please help
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If the error message is about an issue with the Conforming, and it appears to be, then something is halting the process, before it can complete.

What are the full specs of the file and the audio?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Audio is not always working, please help
                Paraknight28

I'm having this exact same problem. Some clips import with audio, some without, despite that they were all shot on the same time on the same camera. The original WMVs and converted AVIs all play fine in every program other than when I import them into Premiere Elements. Some clips have partial audio that flatlines towards the end of the clip but some have none at all. My computer easily meets all the specs and this never used to happen, but has been happening more and more recently. Maddening.

• 5. Re: Audio is not always working, please help
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately, neither of you offer enough specifics for us to draw any conclusions -- but it would be interesting to find out what these two posters have in common.

Is it Windows 7 64-bit? Have they both neglected to updated the RealTek high-def drivers from http://www.realtek.com/downloads/ ?

Are they using the same brand of computer?

What type of camcorder is their video coming from? Which project specs did they select when they set up their Premiere Elements projects? Did they let the video clips fully conform before they started editing?

But it's hard to get to the cause because the questions and background are so general. Maybe it would be better if the two posters had a conversation with each other and figured it out?

• 6. Re: Audio is not always working, please help
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

With those converted WMV's, which program was used to make the conversion?

What were the Audio specs. for that conversion?

As a test, rip the Audio from the converted AVI files with an audio editing prograrm, like the great, free Audacity. Save that as a PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, and then Import that into PrE. VERY IMPORTANT - let that PCM/WAV file conform completely. With a PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, it should not take very long, but do NOT touch the computer, until Conforming is complete. Drag that WAV file to an empty Audio Track, and align with the Video. This is easier, if you have Snap ON. Test. If this works, then you can use Audio Mixer to Mute the Audio Track with the muxed Audio, or you can Alt+click on it and Delete it. I like leaving it, but you might want to clean up the Timeline a bit.

Please report with the full specs of your conversion, plus how that test works.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Audio is not always working, please help
                      itpond2 Level 1

Steve,

Here is more info about my system: windows 7 64-bits, 8gb of ram, it's about 9mths old and gateway.  I updated realtek.  my camcorder is a toshiba.  I am using AVI files, when I called tech suport they said that was fine to use.  The tech support watched what I was doing said that I was using the program correctly when I put a file into the organizer and when I went to editing.  he then did a couple of changes and the audio worked for about 4 mins.  I called back and my name went on a waiting list haven't talked to someone sense.   half the pictures conform properly and half give me the event warning.  and both ways don't keep the audio.  again I have audio for 2 or 3 sec. and then its gone.

Thank you,

Terry

• 8. Re: Audio is not always working, please help
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Terry,

It seems that the Toshiba camera is an odd duck. It wraps non-traditional files into the AVI wrapper. Those Toshiba files are causing all sorts of issues.Why Toshiba made the choices, that they did is a puzzle. For more background on file formats, and what they can contain, see this ARTICLE.

Also take a look at this THREAD on the Toshiba files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Audio is not always working, please help
                          itpond2 Level 1

Hunt,

Thank you for the info. do you recommend a camera?  What works best with this program?  I like the program when it all works.

Thanks again for your help and all the info you have shared with me.

Terry

• 10. Re: Audio is not always working, please help

How strange that AshleyC is dealing with the same quirky behavior from the same model camcorder!

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/883419?tstart=0

As we discussed in that thread, the challenge is that that Toshiba camcorder produces AVIs that aren't really AVIs. They're M2Ts. And outputting its files with an AVI suffix is confusing the heck out of the program.

Has the original poster checked out that thread?

As we say there, IF you shoot with that camcorder in one particular format (FHD 1920x1080i) and then IF you set up your Premiere Elements project for Full AVCHD 1920x1080 Stereo and IF you change the suffix on the video files from .avi to .m2t, your video should work -- and your problems should go away.

Please give it a try.

• 11. Re: Audio is not always working, please help
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Those Toshibas are popping up all over. There is mention of issues with them in the PrPro CS5 forum, and a user just posted, asking for a replacement for one, in The Video Lounge. That poster was throwing in the towel on the Toshiba. Obviously, they are selling well. Remember when the Flips first hit?

Hunt

• 12. Re: Audio is not always working, please help

Yep. And these have a street price for about $150-300. Not bad for a hi-def camcorder.

If only they would behave like hi-def camcorders...